Easter Rice Krispie Treats
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Easter Rice Krispie Treats are a delicious combination of the classic treat and delicious dirt cake! Make cute Easter rice krispie treats with Peeps today.
You can make this easy no bake dessert with the kids and serve them at your Easter party or dinner!
If you would like to try a few more Rice Krispie Treats recipes, two of my favorites are Salted Caramel Rice Krispie Treats and Hot Cocoa Krispies Treats.
Easter Rice Krispie Treats
The original rice krispies treat recipe is a wonderful starting point for lots of different desserts.
You can easily change up the appearance and the taste based on what types of things you add to them!
We’re making Easter rice krispie treats with Peeps, cocoa pebbles, crushed Oreos, and colorful sprinkles for a fun springtime theme that’s similar to Dirt Cake.
I have so many easy no bake desserts to make that you’ll never run out of new ideas to try. Have you tried these no bake avalanche cookies yet?
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
- Cereal – I chose a chocolate cereal to look like dirt, but you can use regular crispy rice cereal or even Fruity Pebbles for a more colorful option!
- Oreos – Stick with the classic version, as Double Stuf will have too much filling. If you opt for a different cereal, try using Golden Oreos instead.
- Butter – Either salted or unsalted sticks will work with this Easter rice krispie treats recipe.
- Marshmallows – Use mini sized marshmallows since they melt faster and more evenly.
- Sprinkles – You can find the grass sprinkle blend I used at most craft stores and grocery stores during Easter time, or you can get them right here on Amazon.
Tips for Making Rice Crispy Treats with Peeps
- Stir constantly. Keep things moving when making the butter and marshmallow mixture so it doesn’t burn. Once it starts melting, it’s ready to use in a flash!
- Press into pan. Spray a rubber spatula (or clean hands!) with non stick spray, then press the cereal mixture into the pan.
It should be enough to spread the mixture out evenly, but not so hard that you compact them. Too much, and they’ll be hard to chew.
- Easy slicing: Use both nonstick spray and parchment paper in your pan. That way, you can lift the treats right out once they have cooled.
Nothing will get out of shape or squished, and it makes slicing so much easier!
- Use toothpicks. These will hold the Peeps upright on each of your rice krispie Easter treats!
Storing Rice Krispie Easter Treats
You can store rice crispy treats with Peeps for up to two days at room temperature in an airtight container.
Don’t store them longer than that, or the treats will become very hard.
It’s best to enjoy your Easter rice krispie treats within 2 days of making them. They don’t store well for long-term storage, and they are not suitable for freezing.
Easter Rice Krispie Treats Recipe FAQ
You can skip the Oreos — then the sprinkles will stick to the marshmallows and reduce the mess. I include that Oreo layer because it’s traditional with a classic dirt cake.
If you would like to keep that Oreo flavor but lose some of the mess, you can reduce Cocoa Pebbles to 5 ½ cups and stir in ½ cup of crushed Oreos when you add in the cereal.
Spray your knife with nonstick pan spray before slicing, and make sure they are fully set! This will prevent the rice krispie Easter treats from sticking to your knife.
Also, be sure to top the rice crispy treats with Peeps after they have been sliced so each one is centered.
The color and type of Peeps that you use are entirely up to you. You can use any color at all. And, you can choose Easter Chicks or Bunnies depending on your mood and the theme you want to create.
You could also make this for a different holiday and use another color and theme marshmallow Peep. This could be a festive dessert for many occasions.
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Don’t miss a thing! Follow us on
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
Other Cute Easter Treats
Easter Rice Krispie Treats
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 6 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups cocoa pebbles cereal
- 15 Oreos cookies, crushed
- 5 ounces grass shaped sprinkle blend
- 8 Peeps
- 1/2 cup mini-Cadbury eggs
- Spray a 9×13 inch pan with a nonstick spray. You can place a sheet of parchment paper inside the pan to help you remove the finished treats from the pan.
- In a large pot, melt your butter and marshmallows over medium heat, making sure you are stirring to prevent the marshmallows from burning.
- Stir in the vanilla extract, then the cereal until well combined. Place the mixture into the 9×13 pan. Using a greased rubber spatula, press the mixture into an even layer in the pan.
- Top the cereal with the crushed Oreos making sure to press them into the cereal.
- Scatter the sprinkles over the top of the Oreos and gently press them down.
- Place a toothpick into the bottoms of the peeps and stick them into the cereal. Sprinkle the eggs over the top.
- Allow to sit at room temperature for 1 hour before serving.
- Cut the bars into 12 pieces and enjoy!
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published March 2021, updated and republished March 2023
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.
I loved these! I Made typical vanilla ones rather than chocolate but they still came out great.