This Chick fil A spicy chicken sandwich is grilled to perfection and topped with fresh lettuce, tomatoes, and cheese. Make it for dinner tonight!
Since no one knows how long this will stay on the menu, it can’t hurt to have this delicious homemade version in your recipe book.
Add a side of my copycat mac and cheese and you’ll never need to hit the drive thru again!
If you love a good dose of heat in your food, try my buffalo burger with blue cheese crumbles. It tastes just like your favorite hot wings!
I also have a breaded alternative to this spicy grilled chicken sandwich that is mild in flavor and seasoned with a tangy buttermilk marinade.
How To Make A Chick fil A Spicy Chicken Sandwich
Butterfly each breast to create six thin pieces. Brine them in pickle juice for one hour, then pat dry and add the seasonings to both sides.
Grill the meat, then stack onto the buns with all of the fixings – green leaf lettuce, tomato slices, Colby Jack cheese, and a spoonful of cilantro lime sauce.
For extra authentic flavor, butter the buns before toasting them to a perfect golden brown.
Helpful Tips and Tricks
- Don’t brine for too long! A couple of hours is fine, but you shouldn’t exceed 6 hours. The poultry will taste too much like pickles and have an unpleasant wet texture even after being cooked.
- Tip for slicing the meat: Lay one breast flat on a cutting board, then place your palm on top to hold it in place. Run a sharp knife through the middle to separate the top and bottom into equal parts.
- Swap out the sauce. Packets of cilantro lime sauce come with the Chick fil A spicy chicken sandwich, so we are using bottled dressing as a substitute. If you can’t find any at your grocery store, try a spoonful of Chick fil a sauce instead!
- No grill? Use a large skillet to sear the meat on both sides until it is cooked all the way through. Or, try the air fryer and reduce the cooking time to accommodate the thinner pieces of meat.
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
FAQ – Common Recipe Questions
Where can I find cajun seasoning?
Most grocery stores and supermarkets should carry some form of this seasoning blend.
I prefer to use Slap Ya Momma, a popular Louisiana brand, and you can find it online here.
Why do I need to marinate in pickle juice?
It’s the secret ingredient used to get that signature flavor in your Chick fil A spicy chicken sandwich. Plus, the acid helps to tenderize the meat so it’s nice and juicy.
Which buns are best for a spicy grilled chicken sandwich?
I love to use brioche buns, and you can brush them with a little butter to make your spicy chicken sandwich more authentic.
Sometimes it’s hard to find whole grain buns, so feel free to use the classic variety if that is all that your store has available.
With love from our simple kitchen to yours.
Chick Fil A Spicy Chicken Sandwich
- 3 chicken breasts
- 2 cups pickle juice
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning, like slap your momma
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 buns
- 1 head lettuce
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 6 Colby Jack slices
- 1/2 cup cilantro lime dressing
- Cut your chicken in half lengthwise, so you end up with two thin chicken breasts.
- Place your chicken and the pickle juice in a gallon zip-top bag, seal the bag, and allow the chicken to marinate in the fridge for one hour.
- Preheat your grill to 350°F or your grill pan over medium heat.
- Remove the chicken from the juice and pat the chicken dry with paper towels. Sprinkle the cajun seasoning, garlic powder, paprika, and cayenne pepper over both sides of the chicken.
- Grill your chicken for 5-6 minutes per side or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Place the lettuce, tomato slices, chicken, cheese, and one tablespoon of dressing on each bun.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published July 2021
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.