Air Fryer Jalapeno Poppers are insanely scrumptious — stuffed with melty cream cheese and cheddar, crispy bacon, and chives. Just 10 minutes of prep and even less time in the air fryer is all you need for this jalapeno poppers air fryer recipe. They’re the perfect game day food or quick party snack!
Air Fryer Jalapeno Poppers
If you love a boatload of flavor in one super easy and quick snackable party food, then this jalapeno poppers air fryer recipe is definitely for you!!
Fair warning, though — I often have to make a double batch because one serving usually isn’t enough!
Crisp, juicy, and spicy chiles are stuffed with smooth cream cheese and savory bacon bits, then topped with melty cheddar and a sprinkling of crunchy crackers.
Air fried jalapeno poppers have the perfect storm of texture and flavors! They go great with our air fryer burgers.
If you don’t have an air fryer, I have a ton of jalapeno recipes you can make!
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
- Jalapenos – I like to make these with larger peppers for nice, big bites!
But you could get away with smaller ones — just keep in mind you won’t be able to fit as much filling.
- Cooked Crumbled Bacon – You can use bacon bits for air fryer jalapeno poppers, but I like making it fresh!
In fact, whenever I make bacon in the oven, I cook extra to crumble and use throughout the week.
- Cracker Crumbs – I like to use Ritz, but any butter cracker will do!
Try to avoid thinner crackers (such as Saltines) that may get a bit soggy once in contact with the filling.
- Cream Cheese and Cheddar Cheese – While you can’t go wrong with cheddar cheese, Monterey or Colby Jack are great substitutes.
Cream Cheese Alternatives: Mascarpone cheese is pretty close in flavor and texture. For a lighter option, try plain Greek yogurt.
- Green Chiles and Chives – Either of these can be left out if you’re not a fan.
How to Air Fry Jalapeno Poppers
- Use parchment paper.
This helps with crisping and with clean up — a win-win!!
Air fryer parchment liners are sold ready to use, but you can also cut a square of regular kitchen parchment to fit your basket.
Just be sure to poke holes to allow for air flow.
- Cook in batches.
Not only do you want them in a single layer (no stacking!), but there should be some space between each popper so they crisp on all sides.
This jalapeno poppers air fryer recipe makes 12 total, so that means 2 or 3 rounds depending on the size of your fryer.
- Want more bacon? Make bacon wrapped air fryer jalapeno poppers!!
The only thing better than bacon on the inside is when it’s on the outside too!
Wrap poppers in a strip of bacon, then place them in your fryer seam-side down — where the two ends of the piece of bacon meet.
Be sure to air fry jalapeno poppers until the bacon is completely cooked.
Best Sauces for Air Fried Jalapeno Poppers
You can’t go wrong with dipping sauces that are smooth, cool, and zesty — it’s a great combo with the spicy and savory flavors in the poppers.
My first recommendation is a chipotle lime mayo.
It has a bit of heat, but the acidity of the lime and creaminess of the mayo tones down the spicy air fryer jalapeno poppers!
Jalapeno Poppers Air Fryer FAQ
It takes less than 10 minutes to air fry jalapeno poppers!
The best way to tell when your poppers are done is by looking at the topping. When the crackers just begin to brown, they’re ready to eat!
Let them cool for a bit before serving, as the cream cheese filling gets quite hot.
400°F is the best temperature for making jalapeno poppers in the air fryer. At this temp, the peppers are tender-crisp, but not raw or overcooked.
Reheating Jalapeno Poppers In Air Fryer
This appetizer is best eaten while it’s hot and fresh. The cracker crumbs and the jalapeno both become soggy and soft after a night in the fridge.
But if you do keep leftovers and want some the next day, air fry jalapeno poppers again for a couple of minutes.
You could also reheat them in the oven for 15-20 minutes at 325°F.
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Other Spicy Game Day Food
Air Fryer Jalapeno Poppers
- 6 large jalapeno peppers, halved and deseeded
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 8 ounces bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces diced green chiles, drained
- 1/2 cup cracker crumbs, I use Ritz
- 1 teaspoon melted butter
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- Add softened cream cheese to a mixing bowl and beat until creamy. Add bacon crumbles, cheddar cheese and green chiles, then beat until well blended.
- Place jalapeno halves on a plate. Fill generously with cream cheese filling.
- Mix cracker crumbs and butter together in a shallow dish.
- Press each stuffed jalapeno, filling side down, firmly into cracker crumbs.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F.
- Line the air fryer with a parchment paper liner, then place jalapeno halves in a single layer. onto the liner. Air fry for 6-7 minutes, or until topping is beginning to brown.
- Remove from the air fryer, garnish with chives, serve and enjoy!
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published September 2022, updated and republished September 2023
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.