Make this Italian beef recipe for tender roast beef in a crock pot, then make Italian beef sandwiches with sweet peppers and melted cheese. SO delicious!
Italian Beef Recipe
I love cooking beef in my slow cooker. Not only is it quick and easy, but the meat comes out fork tender and delicious every time I make it!
If you want more crockpot beef recipes, you have got to try my Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff. It’s hearty and flavorful with beef, mushrooms, onions, and garlic that are slow-cooked all day long.
Or, my Slow Cooker Beef Bourguignon is full of delicious and tender veggies, with juicy, melt in your mouth beef cooked in wine. And, it’s incredibly easy to make!!
Slow Cooker Beef Brisket is smothered with spices, oven seared, then simmered in the crockpot for a simple recipe that is wonderfully juicy and exploding with flavor.
How to Make Italian Beef in the Slow Cooker
Slow cook a boneless beef chuck roast in your crockpot with bouillon and seasonings until it is fork-tender.
Then, shred the meat and serve on toasted hoagie rolls with provolone cheese for a simple, but delicious dinner!
About the broth
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
- Beef – I use chuck roast for this Italian beef slow cooker recipe because it comes out perfectly tender every time.
But, you could also substitute a rump roast or another type of boneless beef roast if you prefer.
- Cheese – We love the taste of provolone cheese on our sandwiches. But, you can use another type of meltable cheese if you prefer.
Good substitutions are mozzarella or cheddar cheese.
- Toppings – We top our Italian Beef Sandwiches with roasted red peppers and mild banana peppers.
For a slightly different taste, try swapping those with your favorite giardiniera — Italian pickled vegetables.
Best Bread for Italian Beef Sandwiches
Italian beef is typically served on hoagie rolls, but you can use any thin sandwich-type roll if those aren’t available.
- Brioche sandwich roll
- Ciabatta oblong bun
- French torpedo roll
- Italian sandwich roll
I do not recommend using slices of sandwich bread for this Italian beef recipe.
The bread will quickly become soggy and won’t be sturdy enough to hold all of the shredded beef and peppers.
Storing and Reheating Slow Cooker Italian Beef
Transfer cooked Italian beef from crock pot to a tightly covered container. It will stay good for up to 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator.
To extend the storage time, you can easily freeze your leftovers.
Just place the meat in a freezer bag or wrap it tightly with aluminum foil, then store it for up to 2 to 3 months for the best quality.
To reheat, allow slow cooker Italian beef to thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Place the meat and broth in a pan covered with aluminum foil.
Bake until it is warmed through and serve it on freshly toasted rolls.
Italian Beef Crock Pot FAQ
Typically, Italian beef is made with chuck roast. Other cuts of meat that work well include top round, top sirloin, and bottom round (also known as rump roast).
Although fairly similar, there are a few key differences between each of these types of sandwiches!
Italian Beef: Seasoned and slow cooked beef is shredded and piled on hoagie rolls with roasted or pickled veggies.
Roast Beef: Oven roasted beef is thinly sliced and used in a variety of sandwich recipes. Often paired with peppers and cheese.
French Dip: A type of roast beef sandwich that is served with au jus on the side for dipping.
If you’re wondering what to serve with this Italian beef recipe, traditionally, you would serve French fries. But, here are a few alternative options to consider:
Don’t feel like sandwiches? Spoon slow cooker Italian beef or rice or mashed potatoes. You could even eat it by the forkful with a side of mozzarella sticks and marinara!
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Other Sandwich Recipes
Italian Beef Recipe + Video
- 3 cups boiling water
- 5 cubes of beef bouillon
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper, to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon ground thyme
- 3 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, 1 3-pound roast, trimmed of most fat
- 8 hoagie rolls
- 16 slices provolone cheese
- 16 ounces roasted red peppers, 1 16-ounce jar, sliced
- 16 ounces mild sliced pepper rings, 1 16-ounce jar
- Turn 6 quart slow cooker to high heat. Add boiling water, beef bouillon and Worcestershire.
- Combine remaining seasonings in a small bowl. Sprinkle over beef broth and whisk to combine. Add roast and flip to coat both sides. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low 8-10 hours. Shred beef by using two forks to pull it apart. Stir to coat all beef in the juices. Cook 1 additional hour covered. (Do not drain)
- When ready to serve: Slice rolls in half, place on a baking sheet and broil in oven for 2-4 minutes until bread is lightly golden brown.
- Scoop beef on toasted roll and top with 2 slices of provolone cheese. Place back on baking sheet and broil until cheese is melted. Top with red pepper slices and mild pepper rings.
- Serve and enjoy.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published July 2014, updated and republished February 2023
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.