Make this Italian beef recipe for tender roast beef in a crock pot, then make sandwiches with sweet peppers and melted cheese. SO delicious!
I love cooking beef in my slow cooker. Not only is it quick and easy, but the meat comes out fork tender and delicious every time I make it.
If you want more crockpot beef recipes, you have got to try my Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff. Hearty and flavorful with beef, mushrooms, onions, and garlic that are slow-cooked all day long!!!
Or, my Slow Cooker Beef Bourguignon is full of delicious and tender veggies, with juicy, melt in your mouth beef cooked in wine. And, it’s incredibly easy to make.
Slow Cooker Beef Brisket is a simple recipe that is wonderfully juicy, exploding with flavor, smothered with spices, oven seared then simmered in the crockpot until it is melt-in-your-mouth-tender.
How to make the Italian Beef Recipe
Slow cook a boneless beef chuck roast in your crockpot with bouillon and seasonings until it is fork-tender.
Then, shred the meat and serve on toasted hoagie rolls with provolone cheese for a simple, but delicious dinner.
Ingredient notes for Italian Beef Sandwiches
What cut of beef is best for Italian beef?
I use chuck roast in this recipe because it comes out perfectly tender when cooked in the slow cooker. But, you could also substitute a rump roast or another type of boneless beef roast if you prefer.
What type of bread is best for Italian beef sandwiches?
I love hearty sandwiches on hoagie rolls. But, you can use any thin sandwich-type roll if you don’t have hoagie rolls.
- Brioche sandwich roll
- Ciabatta oblong bun
- French torpedo roll
- Italian sandwich roll
Serving the sandwiches on slices of sandwich bread is not recommended. The bread will not be sturdy enough to hold all of the shredded beef and peppers.
About the broth
You can substitute 3 cups of boiling beef stock for the water and bouillon, but the bouillon gives it a really great flavor!
I would still add a few teaspoons of the bouillon or beef base when making this Italian beef recipe.
What types of cheese can I use?
We love the taste of provolone cheese on our sandwiches. But, you can use another type of meltable cheese if you prefer. Good substitutions are mozzarella or cheddar cheese.
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
Frequently Asked Questions
What is au jus?
The French word, Au jus translates in English to “with juice”. It refers to beef that is served along with the liquid secreted as the beef cooks.
How to store leftovers
Store the cooked Italian beef in the refrigerator in a tightly covered container. It will stay good for up to three to four days this way.
Can you freeze crockpot Italian beef?
To extend the storage time, you can easily freeze your leftovers. Just place the meat in a freezer bag or wrap it tightly with aluminum foil and store it for up to two to three months for the best quality.
To reheat your leftovers after storing them, you will need to allow them to thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
Then, place the leftover beef and the broth in a pan covered with aluminum foil. Bake until it is warmed through and serve it on toasted rolls.
We top our Italian Beef Sandwich with roasted red peppers and mild banana peppers.
But, if you want a slightly different taste, you can top it with your favorite giardiniera.
If you’re wondering what to serve with this Italian beef recipe, traditionally, you would serve French fries. But, here are a few alternative options to consider:
With love from our simple kitchen to yours.
Italian Beef Recipe (Crock Pot) + Video
- 3 cups boiling water
- 5 cubes of beef bouillon
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper, to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon ground thyme
- 3 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, 1 3-pound roast, trimmed of most fat
- 8 hoagie rolls
- 16 slices provolone cheese
- 16 ounces roasted red peppers, 1 16-ounce jar, sliced
- 16 ounces mild sliced pepper rings, 1 16-ounce jar
- Turn 6 quart slow cooker to high heat. Add boiling water, beef bouillon and Worcestershire.
- Combine remaining seasonings in a small bowl. Sprinkle over beef broth and whisk to combine. Add roast and flip to coat both sides. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low 8-10 hours. Shred beef by using two forks to pull it apart. Stir to coat all beef in the juices. Cook 1 additional hour covered. (Do not drain)
- When ready to serve: Slice rolls in half, place on a baking sheet and broil in oven for 2-4 minutes until bread is lightly golden brown.
- Scoop beef on toasted roll and top with 2 slices of provolone cheese. Place back on baking sheet and broil until cheese is melted. Top with red pepper slices and mild pepper rings.
- Serve and enjoy.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published July 2014, updated and republished September 2020
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.