Penne with Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto is absolutely delicious and so simple to make for a quick weeknight meal.
After my homemade Rosemary Basil Sun Dried Tomatoes were in the jar and sitting on the counter, they were taunting me, calling to me. I knew I had to have them. So, I made them into a Rosemary Basil Sun-dried Tomato Pesto and served them over some wheat penne pasta. Absolutely delicious and so good I could eat it for breakfast. This Penne with Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto is absolutely delicious!
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Don’t miss a thing! Follow us on
Sun Dried Tomato Pesto Penne Pasta
- 16 ounces dried penne pasta, I prefer Barilla
- 1 jar rosemary basil dehydrated tomatoes, or sundried tomatoes packed in oil (SEE NOTES)
- 1/2 cup fresh grated parmesan
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Drain and reserve 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
- **If using store bought sundried tomatoes, follow instructions in NOTES section before proceeding.Meanwhile, blend the tomatoes and their oil in a food processor until the tomatoes are finely chopped. Transfer the tomato mixture to a large bowl. Stir in the Parmesan.
- Add the pasta to the tomato pesto and toss to coat, adding enough reserved cooking liquid to moisten.
- 1 (8 ounce jar) sundried tomatoes packed in olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 cup fresh packed basil
- salt and pepper
- Pour olive oil from sundried tomatoes into a small microwave safe jar.
- Crush rosemary leaves with your hand enough to bend the leaves and release the aromatics. Place sprig of rosemary in olive oil, cover with a paper towel and microwave for 15-30 seconds. Remove bowl from microwave and discard the rosemary sprig.
- Put the rosemary infused olive oil, sun dried tomatoes, garlic cloves, and basil in the food processor and proceed with recipe instructions.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.