Slow cooker hot chocolate is extra creamy and makes plenty of servings for holiday entertaining. Try this delicious homemade recipe today!
Cozy up with a warm mug of this incredible cocoa – you’ll never go back to instant packets again!
This creamy hot chocolate recipe makes enough for the whole family whether you want an afternoon treat or you’re filling mugs on your way out the door.
It’s perfect for parties too! Simply mix everything together and let the crockpot do the rest.
Looking for more wintertime drink recipes? You’ll love Wassail, a spiced apple cider drink that can also be prepared in the crockpot. We also have a fabulous Italian hot chocolate that is sure to warm you up!
And if you’re feeling crafty, try your hand at the trendy cocoa bombs that melt right in your mug.
Slow Cooker Hot Chocolate – Tips and Tricks
- Use quality ingredients. While store brands will still be tasty, there’s a noticeable difference in flavor when using more gourmet varieties of cocoa and baking chips.
- Whisk it first. Get as much of the cocoa and sugar dissolved in the liquid as you can before adding in the semi-sweet chips.
- Too rich? This is a very creamy hot chocolate recipe, but you can easily replace some of the heavy cream with more milk or use reduced-fat milk entirely.
- Make a double batch. As long as your crockpot is large enough, you can easily increase the ingredients as needed.
If you’re hosting a get-together, set up a cocoa bar and let guests come up with their own concoctions!
Set out bowls filled with extra marshmallows, crushed peppermint candies, and crumbled cookies to sprinkle on top. Cinnamon sticks, pumpkin pie spice, and chai mix would also be delicious.
Kitchen Tools You Will Need
- Slow Cooker – Great for soups, roasts, shredded chicken, and more! I love it in the cooler months, but it’s also great in the summer when you don’t want to heat up the whole house with the oven.
- Ladle – A must for dishing up your homemade hot chocolate!
- Measuring Cups and Spoons – You may be tempted to eyeball the amounts, but I recommend using the proper tools so it comes out just right.
FAQ – Common Recipe Questions
How do I store leftover slow cooker hot chocolate?
Transfer any remaining beverage to a sealed container and refrigerate for 3 to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stove.
Can I keep this on warm throughout the day?
Yes, but it may develop a film over the top. Just give it a good stir and still add the marshmallows just before serving. Or, add them to individual mugs instead.
How do I adjust the flavor of homemade hot chocolate?
For the drink itself, you can vary the amount of sugar and the types of cocoa and baking chips to your preference. A typical ratio is one part unsweetened cocoa to two parts sugar.
Swap the semi-sweet with milk chocolate chips for a milder flavor or use dark for something richer. You can also substitute some white chips for a “black and white” concoction.
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
MORE FESTIVE NON-ALCOHOLIC DRINKS
Slow Cooker Hot Chocolate
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 cups whole milk
- 2 cups mini marshmallows, for garnish
- Combine all ingredients except marshmallows in a slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cook, covered, until everything is melted, stirring occasionally, 2 hours on LOW.
- Ten minutes before serving, add marshmallows and let them get melty.
- Garnish with more mini marshmallows, and additional toppings crushed peppermint, chocolate shavings, chocolate syrup, whipped cream, caramel sauce, etc
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published October 2021
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.