Easy Pumpkin Coffee Cake
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Pumpkin coffee cake is the perfect excuse to have something sweet for breakfast! Enjoy a slice on chilly mornings or make it for holiday guests.
This recipe may start with a box mix, but it has so many flavorful additions that you’d never know the difference!
Instead, you end up with a dense and delicious pumpkin spice coffee cake with a thick sugar crumble on top.
Want another easy coffee cake to try? My blueberry almond recipe comes together in a snap, and this cranberry version is perfect for the winter holidays.
Or, make a batch of my pumpkin pie bombs – they are technically a dessert, but I won’t judge you if you have a few for breakfast instead!
Pumpkin Coffee Cake
- Choose the correct can. Pay close attention to the label – you need puree (not pie filling) for this recipe. Pie filling has added sugar and spices that will affect the flavor and texture of this easy coffee cake.
- Bring eggs to room temp. This isn’t a requirement, but it can make a noticeable difference in the texture of your baked goods. Simply transfer them to the counter for at least 30 minutes before getting started.
- Use your favorite creamer. While I prefer ones without a lot of additives, I’ve made this recipe with many different brands and varieties and they all work just fine.
- Add some crunch! Chopped walnuts or pecans can be mixed into the crumble topping if you would like. Just be sure to place the pan in the center of the oven so the nuts don’t burn.
- Tip for easy cleanup: Feel free to grease the baking pan if you prefer, but lining it with parchment means one less thing to wash. Plus, you can lift the pumpkin coffee cake straight out of the pan for easier slicing too!
Make It Extra Sweet
Try adding a handful of chocolate chips to the batter or a simple powdered sugar glaze on top.
For extra fall flavor, replace some of the milk or water in your glaze with maple syrup instead!
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
Do you ❤️ TSRI? Don’t miss another recipe!
Subscribe to The Slow Roasted Italian by email to receive new recipes in your inbox!!
FAQ – Common Recipe Questions
Can I use regular cream instead of creamer?
Cream is a bit too heavy for this pumpkin spice coffee cake, but milk or half and half turn out well. You may also need to add a little vanilla to make up for the flavor in the creamer.
Which box mix should I use for this pumpkin coffee cake?
I typically use Betty Crocker mixes, but any brand should be fine as long as the flavor and package size is the same.
How should I store leftovers?
Keep covered at room temperature and enjoy within 2 to 3 days for best results.
You can also freeze individual slices for up to 3 months. Wrap in a layer of plastic and store in a ziploc bag, then thaw on the counter before serving.
With love from our simple kitchen to yours.
Don’t miss a thing! Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram ❤ ❤ ❤
Other Thanksgiving Recipes
Easy Pumpkin Coffee Cake
- 1 box pound cake mix
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 6 tablespoons liquid vanilla coffee creamer
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease an 8 x 8 or 9 x 9 pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl or a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, combine all of the cake ingredients and beat until combined. Pour batter into the prepared baking dish.
- Mix crumble ingredients together in a medium bowl until a thick crumble forms. Use fingers to evenly spread the crumble over the top of the cake batter.
- Bake 45 to 55 minutes until a toothpick comes clean from the center.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published September 2021
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.
A great twist on the coffee cake, this was so good with a nice cup of hot coffee!
Love this recipe! I’ve used other boxed cakes other than pound cake. It’s just as good! My husband doesn’t like anything pumpkin, he really like this coffee cake! Great for breakfast with a cup of coffee or tea!
We are so happy you both enjoyed it! Have a great day!
TSRI Team Member,