Crockpot turkey breast is a great alternative to roasting a whole bird. Cook it for a few hours in a slow cooker, then broil for crispy skin!
Whether you’re hosting a smaller crowd, staying home for the holidays, or just not wanting to spend all day in the kitchen – this crockpot recipe for turkey breast is what you need.
You can make a fabulous Tetrazzini with is too! It has pasta and vegetables in a creamy sauce with a crispy cracker topping.
Let the slow cooker do all the work while you prepare your side dishes. You don’t even have to baste!
This recipe is so simple, you can easily make it throughout the year as well. Throw together a quick salad when you get home from work, and dinner will be on the table in no time.
Crockpot Turkey Breast – Tips and Tricks
- Don’t forget to thaw! Place the meat in the refrigerator the night before so it has plenty of time to defrost. The general rule is that it takes about 24 hours for every 5 pounds with a fridge temperature between 37 to 40°F.
- Brown the butter. The difference in flavor is phenomenal, trust me! Lightly simmer it on the stove until it darkens in color and has a nutty aroma, about 2 to 3 minutes. If you don’t want an extra step, simply mix the herbs into softened butter and slather it all over the skin instead.
- Adjust the flavor. Sage, rosemary, thyme, and even citrus all go really well with this type of poultry. Feel free to use any combination of flavors that you like.
- Let it rest. This guarantees perfectly juicy bites. Since crockpot turkey breast is cooked low and slow, it only needs about 10 minutes of rest time before slicing.
Video: Crockpot Recipe for Turkey Breast
To see us make this from start to finish, watch the video at the top of this post.
Carving Bone-In Turkey Breast
Don’t let the job intimidate you – it’s really quite simple!
Run your knife along either side of the backbone, slicing straight down to remove the whole breast. Then, transfer the meat to a platter or slice into strips before serving.
If you prefer thin slices like a traditional bird, leave the breasts on the bone and carve slices off until you reach the center. Repeat on the other side until you’re done!
Kitchen Tools You Will Need
- Slow Cooker – Great for soups, roasts, shredded chicken, and more!
- Digital meat thermometer – Not only will you know when your meat is safe to eat, but you can make sure it’s not overcooked and dried out as well.
- Quality Knives – These cut down on prep time and are important for safety as well.
FAQ – Common Recipe Questions
Do I have to broil crockpot turkey breast at the end?
No, but that’s the only way to crisp up the skin on the outside.
How do I make gravy from this recipe?
Use the drippings from the slow cooker to make a simple pan gravy with cornstarch and seasonings.
- Pour the drippings into a skillet, adding additional water or broth as needed to increase the amount.
- Bring the liquid to a simmer. Dissolve 1 tablespoon cornstarch in 1 tablespoon water, then whisk the slurry into the pan until the mixture begins to thicken.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste before serving.
Can I use a larger bone-in turkey breast?
You can prepare whichever size you need as long as it fits in your slow cooker. In fact, you can cook a double breast in the same way – just adjust the butter mixture and cook time accordingly.
Be sure to check the internal temperature before slicing. A thermometer should read 165°F when inserted into the thickest part of the meat.
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
MORE CROCKPOT RECIPES
Crockpot Turkey Breast + Video
- 1 -2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2-3 pound turkey breast with bone, skin-on
- 1/2 cup salted butter, melted ** see note
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 2-3 sprigs of thyme, plus more for garnish
- Slice shallots and sprinkle in the bottom of the slow cooker. Place turkey breast over the shallots, skin side up.
- Melt butter (or brown the butter for more flavor). Add in lemon pepper, salt, lemon zest, chopped rosemary, and the leaves from 2-3 sprigs of thyme. Mix together to fully combine.
- Pour butter and spice/herb mixture over the top of the turkey breast. Try to keep as much of the mixture on the breast as possible, but some butter run-off is just fine.
- Place the lid on top and cook on HIGH for 4-6 hours in the slow cooker. Test the temperature of the thickest part of the turkey breast occasionally so that you do not overcook. Internal temp should reach 165°F. Lift turkey breast from the slow cooker and transfer to a baking sheet. Broil for 2-3 minutes or to achieve desired browning and crisp on the skin.
- Slice and serve with gravy.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published November 2021
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.