The Best Easy Lasagna has layers of flavor with gooey cheese and sausage. Make this cheesy lasagna recipe with no boil noodles for a scrumptious dinner in 40 minutes!
Best Easy Lasagna Recipe
Something about meaty, cheesy dishes is so comforting and they just remind you of gathering around the table with family.
Lasagna used to be reserved for Sunday dinners or special events because preparations took almost all day. Not anymore! This cheesy lasagna recipe only takes 15 minutes to prep before going in the oven.
Another easy meal that’s loaded with flavor is my Cheesy Stuffed Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf. It tastes just like a double bacon cheeseburger!
My Chili Cheesy Mashed Potatoes Casserole is the ultimate comfort food and works both as a main course or a dish to share at potlucks.
Or, keep things simple by scooping up Barbecue Ranch Chicken Dip with some chips or using it to make gooey loaded nachos!
- Hot Italian sausage – If you are sensitive to spicy foods, try sweet Italian sausage instead. I love hot Italian pork sausage in this lasagna, but if you are looking for a lean protein choice, chicken sausage is delicious. You can even use ground beef. However, you’ll need to add extra spices and seasoning if using ground beef.
- Canned tomatoes – Using fire-roasted tomatoes in place of crushed or diced tomatoes gives recipes a depth of flavor that makes you think it cooked all day long.
- Lasagna noodles – The secret to the short prep time for this recipe is making the lasagna with no boil noodles.
- Cheese – I like to use Kraft’s 5 Cheese Italian Blend Shredded Cheese and 3 Cheese Grated Parmesan because the flavors are wonderful and it saves loads of time on prep. However, feel free to use your favorite cheese blends and shred them by hand instead of using pre-bagged shreds. Whichever way you go, it will be delicious!
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
Storage and reheating
Cover leftovers or transfer to a storage container and keep in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Reheat in the microwave or in the oven until warmed through.
This lasagna also freezes beautifully, either baked or unbaked. It’s only because of the no boil noodles.
Just be sure to use it within 3 months for the best quality.
- Baked: Let the lasagna cool and place in the refrigerator for an hour. Then, either wrap individual slices in foil and store in a Ziploc bag, or cover the entire dish tightly with foil and freeze. If you don’t want your baking dish trapped in the freezer, make the lasagna in a foil pan instead.
- Unbaked: Line your baking dish with foil and build the lasagna in the pan. Then, cover tightly with foil and place in the freezer. Once frozen, lift the foil-wrapped lasagna out of the pan and keep in the freezer. Then, just pop the entire thing back in the baking dish when you’re ready to reheat.
Best Easy Lasagna Recipe FAQ
Cook time depends on a few factors: temperature of the oven, type of noodle used, and size of the overall lasagna. Because this recipe bakes at a higher temperature of 425°F, it only takes about 25 minutes to cook.
The key is making sure there’s enough liquid so the noodles come out tender and not chewy. Do this by making a thinner sauce.
Use extra tomato sauce and paste, and include the liquid from the canned tomatoes. Using a low moisture ricotta helps balance the extra liquid so the lasagna turns out firm and perfect – not soupy!
If you prefer a slower cook, increase the bake time by about 10 minutes for every 25 degrees you lower the oven temperature.
And no matter the bake time or temp, always remove the foil during the last 5-10 minutes. This ensures that the cheese gets bubbly and browned.
How to reheat a whole frozen lasagna
No need to defrost – you can reheat straight from frozen! If it was baked before freezing, cook for 30-45 minutes at 350°F or until warmed through.
However, unbaked lasagna will need about double the time as the original recipe. I suggest about an hour at 400°F, and then check on it occasionally until it’s warm through the center. Also, keep the pan covered with foil until the last 10-15 minutes of cook time.
With love from our simple kitchen to yours.
Best Easy Lasagna Recipe + Video
- 1 1/2 pounds hot Italian chicken sausage
- 29 ounces Hunt’s Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes with Garlic, 2 14.5-ounce cans
- 8 ounce can Hunt’s Tomato Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Hunt’s Tomato Paste
- 1 egg
- 16 ounce container part skim ricotta cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup KRAFT Grated Three Cheese Parmesan Cheese, divided
- 10 oven ready lasagna noodles
- 1 1/2 KRAFT 5 Cheese Italian Blend Shredded Cheese, 8 ounce packages, divided
- Preheat oven to oven to 425°F.
- In a large skillet over medium high-heat brown sausage. Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce and tomato paste; simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile combine ricotta cheese, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, 4 ounces shredded cheese and egg. Mix until well blended.
- Spread 1/2 cup meat sauce onto bottom of 13×9-inch baking dish. Top with a layers of 3 noodles, half the ricotta cheese mixture, and 1/3 of the sauce. Repeat layers.
- Top with remaining noodles then cover with sauce and sprinkle ¼ cup Parmesan cheese. Spread remaining 8 ounces of shredded cheese over top; cover.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil. Bake, uncovered, 5 minutes until cheese is melted. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published March 2013, updated and republished November 2020
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.