Chicken Cobb Salad always makes my mouth water, and it’s even better with pasta! Transform this crisp, classic dish into a Cobb pasta salad to make a hearty and delicious meal.
Chicken Cobb Salad with Pasta
One of the wonderful things about Cobb salad recipes is that you can customize them to your liking!
Whether you need to leave an ingredient or two out, or if you prefer to add a few extras, you’re guaranteed to end up with the best Cobb salad on your plate.
I’m really going the extra mile by swapping the lettuce for bowtie pasta in this chicken Cobb salad!
It soaks in all that delicious dressing and makes it a much heartier meal.
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
- Noodles – I like using farfalle pasta (the bowties are so cute), but any type of medium-sized pasta could be substituted — like penne or fusilli.
- Meat – Chicken and bacon make Cobb salad recipes extra hearty and packed with protein.
- Eggs – Make perfect, easy-to-peel hard-boiled eggs with my foolproof method.
- Veggies – You’ll need halved cherry tomatoes, chunks of avocado, and sliced green onions. Bell peppers and red onion would be tasty too!
- Cheese – Blue cheese crumbles are the magic ingredient, adding an irresistible salty tang. Feta is a great alternative if you find blue cheese too strong.
- Dressing – Ranch dressing is a perfect match for this Cobb pasta salad — try my homemade version!
Or, opt for blue cheese dressing or a creamy vinaigrette instead.
Chicken Cobb Salad Pasta Recipe Tips
- Rinse the pasta. Once the bowtie noodles are cooked to al dente, drain and rinse under cold water.
This stops the cooking process, cools them down, and prevents them from sticking together.
- Time-saving tip: Use rotisserie or leftover chicken and cook the bacon in the oven or air fryer while you chop up the rest of the ingredients.
- Make it vegetarian. Swap the chicken and bacon for black beans, kidney beans, or chickpeas — or a combination of your favorites!
Make Ahead Instructions
Cobb pasta salad can be made up to a day ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator. However, I recommend adding the avocado just before serving.
Also, stir in a little extra dressing just before serving — the noodles will soak most of it up, causing your chicken Cobb salad with pasta to become a little dry.
Kitchen Tools Needed
- Colander – For draining the pasta.
- Sharp Knife – A quality knife for chopping vegetables.
- Large Bowl – For mixing and serving.
- Bamboo Salad Hands – Serving a salad should be fun, and these are my favorite tools to serve salads.
Cobb Salad Recipes FAQ
Cobb salad, named for restauranteur R.H. Cobb, is a famous American Salad that was created in Los Angeles in the 1930s.
Classic Cobb salad recipes feature mixed greens, chicken, bacon, tomatoes, hard-boiled eggs, and blue cheese tossed in a red wine vinaigrette.
It really comes down to personal preference. As mentioned, red wine vinaigrette is the classic choice.
However, many modern versions feature ranch or blue cheese dressing, while others consider French dressing the best Cobb salad dressing.
Chicken Cobb salad with pasta will keep for up to 4 days in the refrigerator. Store in an airtight container and stir in a little extra dressing before serving.
The avocado will likely turn brown, but it is still safe to eat.
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Other Pasta Salad Recipes
Cobb Salad Pasta Toss
- 1 pound farfalle pasta, or other medium-sized pasta
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 cups cooked, chopped chicken
- 8 slices bacon, cooked & crumbled
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled & chopped
- 1 large avocado, peeled & chopped
- 3 medium green onions, sliced
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1 cup ranch dressing or blue cheese dressing
- Cook pasta al dente per the package instructions. Run under cold water to cool and rinse starch off.
- Cook bacon and prepare all other ingredients. If desired, reserve a few of each add-in ingredient to place on top of pasta salad for garnish.
- Place cooked and cooled pasta in a large bowl. Add all remaining ingredients and pour dressing over the salad and toss lightly to coat. Garnish with reserved ingredients.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to a day.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published May 2018, updated and republished June 2023
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.