Cheesy Monte Cristo Bombs are loaded with ooey-gooey cheese, ham and turkey. They are a portable version of your favorite Monte Cristo sandwich that is purely crave-able!
We are so excited to be partnering with our friends at Jones Dairy Farm to bring you a scrumptious breakfast or brunch recipe perfect for the holidays with family and friends, starring one of my favorite ingredients: Ham!!!
Cheesy Monte Cristo Bombs
I have had a thing for Monte Cristos from as far back as I can remember. I mean, what’s not to love. It is a variation of the classic French sandwich the croque-monsieur.
A traditional Monte Cristo is a ham, turkey and cheese sandwich that is dipped in an egg batter and fried like French toast. Then it is sprinkled with powdered sugar and served with jam. ❤ It is pure heaven.
So when we started thinking about recipes we could make with Jones Dairy Farm ham with that amazing hickory flavor and I drifted off to my favorite Monte Cristo sandwich. Realizing that it is game day season, and a portable appetizer option would be brilliant, we transformed the classic Monte Cristo into stuffed bread appetizers!
To make this recipe even easier we used frozen dinner rolls. Once they are thawed you roll them out and load them up with the meats and cheeses. Then, they are tucked and rolled into a ball. They are brushed with an egg and cream mixture to give them that gorgeous sheen and that French toast flavor.
They bake until perfectly bubbly and browned. I sprinkled them with powdered sugar and served them with strawberry jam.
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
Let me tell you they are so amazing that even my picky 7-year-old couldn’t keep her hands off of them.
I will let you all know that you can pick up Jones Dairy Farm products at your local retailer. The company’s products are distributed nationwide, so be sure to check out their product locator so see where you can pick some up. If you’re looking for the breakfast sausage, it’s in the freezer section!
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Don’t miss a thing! Follow us on
Cheesy Monte Cristo Bombs
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 12 frozen white dinner roll dough balls
- 6 ounces gruyere, or swiss cheese, cut into 24 pieces
- 6 ounces medium cheddar cheese, cut into 24 pieces
- 7 ounce package Jones Dairy Farm Fully Cooked Ham Steak, diced
- 1/4 pound turkey, diced
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- berry jam, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Lightly flour the countertop.
- In a small bowl beat the egg and heavy cream together, set aside.
- Place 12 dinner rolls on a microwave-safe plate and microwave on defrost for about 2 minutes (or until dough is no longer frozen, but not cooked).
- Prepare a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Toss 1 dough ball in the flour and flatten and stretch it like you are making a mini pizza. Stretch the dough to about 3” across. Add 2 chunks of each cheese and about 1 tablespoon of diced ham and 1 scant tablespoon turkey to the center of the dough. Pull the edges of the dough together to create a ball. If the ball won’t seal, tap your fingertips into the flour and crimp the seal together.
- Place the bombs on the baking sheet, crimped side down. Repeat until they are all on the baking sheet. Brush the bombs with the egg wash.
- Bake the bombs for 12-15 minutes until the tops are golden brown and the bombs are no longer doughy. Brush with melted butter and allow to cool on the tray for 5 minutes and then dust the bombs with powdered sugar.
- Place them on a serving tray. Serve with berry jam. Enjoy!
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Breakfast is what Jones Dairy Farm does! Can’t get enough? Find more scrumptious breakfast and brunch recipes here.
Originally published September 2017.
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.