Banana Rum Cake is a moist and delicious cake packed with ripe bananas and an incredible creamy frosting with cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla.
Well, once again I managed to happen upon a fantastic sale. Banana’s this time. I was shocked to see all the cases of fresh (still mostly green) bananas sitting throughout my grocery store with signs for $.15/lb. Yes. Really! So, I did what I always do. I took total advantage of the sale and bought a truckload! So, after making Munchkin’s favorite Dried Banana Coins and freezing banana’s for Chad’s and Munchkin’s favorite Banana Orange Smoothie I decided to make something for Mama. I wanted cake! Shocking, huh? Well if you have ever seen my Pinterest board “Cake Cake Cake” or read my allParenting Bio, you may have noticed I am an admitted cake addict.
Truly, I could eat cake everyday for the rest of my life and probably never tire of it. Layer cake, cheesecake, cupcake, pancake, muffins… If it walks like a cake or talks like a cake. I am chasing it with a fork. So, seriously, this cake is for me. Packed with ripe bananas and some of that amazingly flavorful Captain Morgan’s Spiced Rum. Yes, rum. Captain Morgan’s Spiced Rum is the perfect cooking rum with fall flavors.
This is a moist and delicious cake with an incredible creamy frosting with cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and more Captain Morgans. I could eat it all day. I recommend hiding the cake. The crisper drawer may not work for this one. Think more secure. How about a safe. Oh, who are you supposed to be hiding it from? Yourself. As Chad stared at a mostly empty pan, he said… “Huh, must have been good”. Yes darling. It was!!!
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Don’t miss a thing! Follow us on
Banana Rum Cake
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, 1 stick, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons spiced rum, I use Captain Morgan’s (See Notes)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 medium ripe bananas, extra-ripe, smashed
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons spiced rum
- 1 1/2 pounds powdered sugar, 6 cups
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 12 whole pecans
- 12 banana slices soaked in lemon juice, 1-2 whole bananas
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease a 9×13 cake pan with nonstick baking spray; set pan aside.
For the Cake
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment (or use a medium mixing bowl and an electric hand mixer), cream butter and sugar on medium-high speed until fluffy and creamy.
- Reduce speed to medium and add eggs, rum and vanilla extract. Beat well to combine.
- Reduce mixer speed to low. Add flour, baking soda and salt and mix just until combined. Add mashed bananas and beat on medium until completely combined.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 22-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out with just a few moist crumbs.
- Remove the pan from the oven and transfer to a wire cooling rack to allow the cake to cool completely.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine cream cheese and butter. Beat on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add vanilla, rum, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Beat until well combined. With the mixer on low, add salt and powdered sugar (starting with about 1 pound and increasing as necessary to get a light fluffy frosting.
- Use an offset spatula to frost the cake.
- Whip heavy cream until soft peaks form. Add powdered sugar and continue whipping until stiff and pipeable.
- Cut the cake into 12 even slices. Pipe a swirl of whipped cream in the center of each slice. Top each square with a banana slice and whole pecan.
- Serve and enjoy!
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.