Air Fryer Chicken Wings 4 Ways + Video
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Air fryer chicken wings make for a healthy meal or party appetizer. These recipes show you 4 ways to make them, with flavorful wing sauces!
Benefits to Air Frying
If you have yet to do it, there are SO many ways that you can benefit from air frying food.
- Healthier than deep frying. You can enjoy the taste of fried chicken with less fat and calories.
- Less mess to clean up. With an air fryer, you have no reason to pull out a deep fryer or cover your stove top in cooking oil to enjoy the flavor of fried foods.
- Quick and easy. You can start making dinner with the push of a button. And because air and heat circulate around the food, air frying is much quicker than deep frying!
Selecting the wings
Fresh vs Frozen
I like to use fresh poultry, but you can make any of these recipes using frozen chicken if you’d like.
Frozen wings do take several minutes longer to cook, though. The safest and easiest way to know if your chicken is cooked is to check the internal temperature.
To do this, use an instant read cooking thermometer. It should read 165° F when the chicken is cooked through.
Chicken Wing Recipes Video
To get recipe tips and watch us make these recipes, check out our video at the top of this post.
Making these recipes couldn’t be easier! Just coat the wings with a few spices, place them in the fryer basket with a little oil, and cook until done.
Regardless of which wing sauce flavor you choose to make, you’ll coat the chicken with baking powder and seasonings before cooking. The baking powder helps the skin become nice and crispy.
After cooking, toss them in the sauce of your choice and enjoy!
Wing sauce flavors
Click on the BOLD recipe title or image and it will open each recipe in a new tab.
Honey BBQ Wings are the perfect party appetizer that everyone will love. Make the sauce with your favorite store-bough brand, or use our recipe for homemade BBQ sauce.
Sweet and Spicy Wings have a homemade sauce that is similar in flavor to Thai chili sauce.
Garlic Parmesan Wings are bursting with flavor from delicious garlic butter and freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
Finally, Lemon Pepper Wings have a zesty, buttery flavor that’s totally irresistible! Real lemon zest and honey provide the perfect balance of citrus tanginess with a little peppery bite.
Kitchen Tools You’ll Need
- Air Fryer – This is my favorite air fryer!
- Spray bottle of cooking oil
- Mixing Bowls – I like a variety of mixing bowls and prep bowls and this set has them all.
- Whisk – These have held up for over 10 years and are still as good as the day I bought them. With 3 sizes there is a whisk for every job!
- Digital meat thermometer – The easiest way to check the make sure the meat is cooked all the way through.
FAQ: Common questions and cooking tips
How many wings will fit in an air fryer?
How many you’re able to cook at one time depends on the size and brand of your fryer. For best results, arrange the food in a single layer, with enough space between each wing or the air to circulate.
If you’re making a large amount, you’ll need to work in batches so you don’t crowd the basket.
How do I keep them crispy?
Preheat your oven and line a cookie sheet with parchment or foil. As you make each batch of chicken, transfer them to the pan and keep it in the oven.
This way, they’ll stay warm and crispy while you cook the rest, or you can make them before guests arrive and serve all at once.
Can I use skinless chicken?
Sure! The air fryer will still get them nice and crispy with the coating. You could even use boneless, skinless pieces to make popcorn chicken!
With love from our simple kitchen to yours.
Don’t miss a thing! Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram ❤ ❤ ❤
Originally published October 2020
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.