My Better than Sex Cake recipe makes an indulgent chocolate caramel poke cake with nuts, light as air whipped cream and crunchy toffee bits. BTS cake is SO good and SO simple to make!
In my opinion, some of the best desserts start with a doctored cake mix. When time and money are tight, you can get a boxed cake mix on the cheap and make a wonderful dessert with it.
If you’ve ever wondered how to make box cake better, make our better than sex cake recipe. It’s a sinfully delicious chocolate dessert, and it’s so simple to
Better Than Sex Cake Recipe
So, what’s a bts cake? It’s an irresistible dessert! Can you think of anything better than a poke cake made with Devil’s food cake mix and caramel sauce?
Well, how about the addition of crunchy bits of toffee, whipped cream and
chopped nuts? This is everything the best chocolate poke cake should be,
Better than sex cake is:
- Terribly easy to make
- Sinfully delicious
The first letter of those words is yet another reason why this dessert has the nickname, BTS cake!
Making the Poke Cake
This recipe is incredibly easy to make, but allow yourself plenty of time to make it. You’ll need to let the cake cool first, and after you pour the warm caramel sauce over it, the dessert has to chill for a couple of hours.
- Bake and cool the Devil’s food cake.
Prepare the batter according to the instructions on the box. I can’t give you set measurements for the water, eggs, and oil because they differ by brand.
Bake the cake batter in a 9×13-inch metal cake pan. If you don’t have a pan that size, a 10-inch bundt pan or two 9-inch round cake pans will work. Just keep in mind,, not only will using a different sized pan affect the baking time, but it also affects how the better than sex cake looks when it’s finished.
Important – Cool the cake!
- Poke and Soak.
For this step of making the better than sex cake recipe, you’ll need something sturdy and round to use for poking holes into the cake. I like to use the bottom end of a wooden spoon handle. A metal straw or a chopstick also work well.
Your rows don’t have to be perfectly even; just be sure to cover the entire surface with holes so the cake can soak up the warm caramel sauce.
After you pour the sauce over the top, allow the chocolate caramel poke cake to cool briefly. Then, wrap it tightly with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Frost and garnish the dessert.
Once it’s fully chilled, spread the whipped topping in an even layer over the top. Drizzle with sauces and top with chopped candy pieces and nuts before serving.
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
Better Than Sex Cake Recipe Tips
Use room temperature ingredients.
Be sure that the water isn’t too cold and remove the eggs from the refrigerator about 30 minutes ahead of time. This allows for easier mixing, and also creates a more tender and moist cake.
Need to make it in advance?
You can keep the BTS cake in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. If you’ll be serving guests, I recommend making it no more than a day ahead of time.
How to cut clean slices.
Run a sharp knife under hot water, then dry with a clean towel. The metal will retain the heat and glide smoothly like butter through the dessert!
With love from our simple kitchen to yours.
Chocolate Better Than Sex Cake
- 4 Heath candy bars, cut into pieces
- chopped pecans, or other nuts
- If using a different brand of cake mix, prepare it according to the instructions on your cake mix box.
- If using the Duncan Hines cake mix, preheat the oven to 350°F. and spray a 9×13 baking pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Add the cake mix, water, eggs and vegetable oil to a large bowl and whisk for 2-3 minutes, or until batter becomes thick.Pour batter into the prepared cake pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the cake starts to pull away from the sides of the pan and the center is no longer jiggly.
- Remove the cake from the oven and poke lots of holes in the warm cake using a chopstick or the end of a wooden spoon. The cake should look like it is going to fall apart, but still stay together.
- Add the condensed milk to a medium bowl and the caramel sauce to a separate bowl.Heat the bowls of milk and caramel sauce in the microwave on high power for 30 seconds, then pour them evenly over the surface of the warm cake.
- Once the cake is cool, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Remove the cake from the fridge and ice the cake with the whipped topping.Drizzle the chocolate sauce and caramel sauce over the cake. Sprinkle with the Heath pieces and nuts if using.
- Cut into 12 slices and serve.
- *These ingredients are for the Duncan Hines mix. If using a different brand, use the ingredients called for on the cake mix box.
- This cake can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published February 2021. Updated and republished January 2022.
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.