3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies really are as easy as one, two, three! 3 ingredient cookies are fun to make with kids, easy to prep, and you get to enjoy the results in almost no time at all. And these Skippy peanut butter cookies are soft, chewy, dense and indulgent – the rich, roasted peanut flavor is enough to fill you up after just a couple cookies!
Don’t believe you can get over a dozen cookies in 15 minutes with just 3 ingredients?? Well, seeing is believing – scroll down to catch my walkthrough video!
3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies
Sometimes the simplest things in life are the best – just like these tasty sweets!
I mean, smooth and creamy peanut butter, sweet crunchy sugar, and 15 minutes from start to finish… I don’t think it could get any simpler!!
You don’t even need a mixer – you can mix this one with just a spoon.
Looking for something extra indulgent? Just smush two of these together, throw some icing in the middle, and you have some peanut butter sandwich cookies! Or try these monster cookies that are packed full of peanut butter flavor.
And if you’re really feeling generous, you can make some peanutty cookies for your dog!!
Ingredient Notes & Substitutions
- Peanut Butter – Since we’re only using a few ingredients, let’s maximize each one!
To get the most flavor out of your peanut butter, I recommend getting a honey roasted variety.
I like making Skippy peanut butter cookies just because that’s my favorite brand. There’s a ton of wiggle room for you to use any brand or variety you want to!
- Granulated Sugar – Save a lil’ extra for a crunchy sugar topping at the end.
Many readers have asked me if you can use a different type of sugar, and you absolutely can!
Brown sugar can be substituted 1:1 and makes these cookies even chewier – anecdotally, readers have told me this makes the cookies a bit less grainy.
But, really, any solid sweetener works.
- Egg – Just one, but make it a large one. It does most of the heavy lifting in 3 ingredient cookies. You can also use a flax egg, if that’s your preference!
Tips & Tricks for 3 Ingredient Cookies
- Don’t Overbake – This is crucial!! Overbaking will totally ruin your treats.
After 10 minutes, keep checking to see if they’re done – check out the FAQ for some tips on knowing when they’re baked!
- Skip The Chunky Skippy – The only kind of peanut butter you don’t want to use is crunchy!
The cookies will end up too crumbly and, ultimately, won’t bind together.
- Add An Extra Ingredient – If you want to go absolutely crazy and use a fourth ingredient, I have a couple recommendations!
A single Hershey Kiss on top makes the fan favorite peanut blossom, for example.
A Reese’s peanut butter cup on top doubles the peanut butter with just a hint of chocolate – delicious!
And, finally, a teaspoon of vanilla or a handful of chocolate chips goes a long way!
Storing and Freezing Skippy Peanut Butter Cookies
You don’t necessarily need to refrigerate these – they’ll last 3 or 4 days on the countertop. They’ll always last longer in the fridge, of course!
These are also the KINGS of prep ahead cookies.
You can make so much dough (double or triple these 3 ingredient peanut butter cookies if you want!) and freeze for up to 3 months.
Bake and then freeze, or shape and freeze to bake later – either way works.
Have a layer of wax or parchment paper between the cookies to keep them from sticking together.
3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies FAQ
If you’re making 3 ingredient peanut butter cookies, then the answer is yes. It’s the only ingredient actually working to bind everything together.
To make peanut butter cookies without egg, you’ll need extra ingredients: flour, butter, etc.
These cookies are a bit different, for sure, but they show the same tell-tale signs when they’re done baking: golden at the edges, slightly browned on top, and a toothpick that comes out clean when poked into the center.
3 ingredient peanut butter cookies are really really dense, so we need to flatten them to make them an even height, ensuring even cooking.
The easiest way to do this is with a fork! I also think it looks fun. But, alternatively, you can flatten the cookies with a spatula or the bottom of a glass.
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Other Easy Cookie Recipes
3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies + Video
- 1 cup honey roasted peanut butter, I used Skippy Natural
- 1 cup granulated sugar, plus extra
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (for easy clean up).
- Mix ingredients in a medium bowl until well combined. Use an electric mixer, stand mixer or a wooden spoon.
- Using a 1 tablespoon scooper, drop onto baking sheet. Dip fork into extra sugar and press cookie down. Repeat until all cookies are pressed.
- Bake 10-12 minutes (until barely golden brown around the edges) and allow to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Serve and enjoy.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published December 2014, updated and republished December 2022.
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.