Cheesy Pasta and Sausage is a family favorite comfort food meal. This amazing one pot pasta recipe cooks in one pot, and in only 20 minutes!!
A creamy, cheesy tomato basil sauce cooks right into the linguine pasta in this amazing Italian meal! Toss everything in a pot and let it cook. It’s so easy, it just about cooks itself. Now that’s my kind of meal!
Even Christmas dinner, which used to be an all-day affair, is now prepared in 30 minutes, unless it’s made a crockpot.
In my quest for quick and easy dinners, one-pot meals have been spectacular for me. Only one pot to wash – yahoo!! So, last year I saw this one-pot pasta recipe all over the web.
This comfort food meal is amazing! You literally toss all of the ingredients in a pot and everything cooks together. Toss in some fresh herbs and cheese at the end, and serve.
One Pot Cheesy Pasta and Sausage
Oh, my heavens. this cheesy pasta and sausage is the perfect meal. Tomatoes, basil, ooey-gooey cheese, and sausage come together to create the perfect sauce for the pasta.
It is so flavorful that Chad and I ate two bowls each. Even Munchkin loved it, and I am sure you will too.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Use your favorite sausage. I prefer Italian sausage links, but you can use your favorite.
- For more flavor, you can use reduced-sodium chicken broth in place of the water for even more flavor.
- Want a different type of pasta? You can substitute 1 pound of any dry pasta for the spaghetti. Fettucine and linguine are great options. Just cook it to al dente… this Italian phrase means, “with a slight bite to it.”
QUICK KITCHEN HACK – Slicing Small Tomatoes
Kitchen Tools for One-Pot Cheesy Pasta and Sausage:
- 4 Quart Braising Pan – this is my favorite cookware to use for one-pot meals like this cheesy pasta and sausage. The spaghetti fits completely inside without having to break it in half, so you can put the lid on.
- Tongs – I love this set of 3. I use every pair of them. They are so handy and grip amazingly well!
With love from our simple kitchen to yours.
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
Other One Pot Pasta Recipes
Check out these other fantastic, one skillet meals ready in 30 minutes or less!
Cheesy Pasta and Sausage + Video
- Dutch oven or other 6-8 quart pot
- 3 cups grape tomatoes, cut in half and divided
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 pound smoked Italian sausage links, precooked and sliced into coins
- 20-30 basil leaves, divided
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 pound dry linguine, (See Notes)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 4 1/2 cups water, or beef or chicken broth
- 1 cup fresh shredded Parmesan cheese
- Set aside 1 cup halved tomatoes, 10 basil leaves, and all of the Parmesan cheese.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a 12-inch braising pan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cover and bring to a boil. Once water is boiling, remove the cover and cook 7-9 minutes, or until pasta is al dente (with a bite to it). Toss pasta with tongs occasionally to keep the pasta from sticking. The liquid will be mostly absorbed when pasta is finished cooking.
- Add cheese and toss to combine. Cheese may clump at first, but will melt into the sauce after a few minutes. Toss in remaining tomatoes and basil before serving.
- Use your favorite sausage. I prefer Italian sausage links.
- You can substitute 1 pound of any type of dry pasta for the spaghetti. Linguine and fettucine are great options. Just be sure to cook the pasta to al dente (meaning, with a slight bite to it).
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published March 2014. Updated and republished June 2022.
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for your support; it allows us to keep creating new recipes.