Moons Over My Hammy is an irresistible breakfast sandwich on the Denny’s™menu. With layers of juicy ham, fluffy, buttery eggs, and lots of ooey-gooey cheesiness between perfectly toasted bread, it’s a clear winner for weekend brunch!!
Do you like to enjoy a hearty breakfast on the weekends, but hate the long wait at your favorite diners and restaurants?
If so, this copycat Dennys breakfast sandwich is going to be your new favorite!
Moons Over My Hammy
This is a breakfast to be reckoned with! All you need are a couple of simple sides, and you have a restaurant-style dish, made your way, and in only 30 minutes!
It’s a protein-packed way to start your day, that’s for sure!
I don’t want to say I’ve mastered breakfast foods, but I make them well.
Just take a look at my homemade everything bagels, cheese and sausage breakfast sliders, and freezer breakfast burritos!
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
- Sourdough Bread – This dense bread holds up well to all of the heavy ingredients we’re laying on.
But if you prefer something else, that’s fine, too! Just nothing too thin or flimsy. I think Texas Toast would be a great choice!
- Swiss Cheese and American Cheese – Yep, we’re going double cheese!
The original Dennys breakfast sandwich includes Swiss and American, but any cheese will do. Pepperjack would be delicious!
- Deli Ham – Thinly sliced, please – it’s easiest to build the sandwich that way! If ham isn’t your jam, then deli turkey or chicken are great options.
You can also omit the meat entirely if you prefer a meatless breakfast.
Moon Over My Hammy Variations
- Egg Extras – I don’t add any milk or cream to my scrambled eggs, but you can. Some great scrambled egg add-ins are diced bell peppers, onions, and tomatoes.
- Condiments – A little mayo goes a long way in adding moisture to the moons over my hammy.
Maybe mix a little sriracha in there for a kick of heat. If you swear by ketchup on your eggs, go for it.
- Add some crunch. Personally, I love a little texture in my egg sandwiches! You could make bacon in the air fryer or crispy hashbrowns to add to yours!
- Stack it high! At the restaurant, the Denny’s breakfast sandwich has an option to double up the meat, eggs and cheese. Well, you can make yours that way, too!
Storing and Reheating Leftovers
This sandwich tastes the best when it’s freshly made. The bread will soak up moisture from the eggs and ham pretty quickly..
But if you want to make things ahead, you could scramble the eggs and hold them in the fridge for up to 4 days.
That’s about the extent of the prep-ahead possibilities for a homemade Moons Over My Hammy.
If you do have leftovers of your fried and assembled breakfast sandwich, they’ll keep for up to 3 days in the fridge.
To reheat, pop them on a sheet pan under your oven broiler for a few minutes, until the cheese melts and the bread toasts once more.
Moons Over My Hammy FAQ
The Dennys breakfast sandwich, Moons Over My Hammy was inspired by the 1940s Moon Over Miami song, made famous in the film “Moon Over Miami ” – go figure! (Moon Over Miami –> eggs over ham –> moons over my hammy. Get it?)
The sandwich has been a staple on the Denny’s menu since the 1990s.
The Dennys grilled ham is a little sweet and very savory. Honey ham is a great choice! If you prefer less sweetness, then try black forest ham.
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Other Grab and Go Breakfast Ideas
Moons Over My Hammy
- 5 tablespoons salted butter, softened and divided
- 8 large eggs
- 8 slices sourdough, or other Artisan bread
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 4 slices American cheese
- 16 slices deli ham, thinly sliced
- In a medium non-stick skillet over medium-low heat, melt one tablespoon butter.
- While the butter is melting, add eggs to a medium mixing bowl; whisk until well beaten.
- Pour the egg mixture into the heated skillet and cook eggs over medium-low heat. As eggs begin to cook, use a silicone spatula to gently bring the cooked eggs to the top of the pan, allowing more of the liquid eggs to cook underneath.
- Keep the heat fairly low, and only stir a couple times. Remove pan from heat as soon as there is no liquid egg remaining in the pan. Set aside and allow the eggs to continue cooking in the warm pan.
- Using the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter, spread ½ tablespoon evenly on one side of each slice of bread.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet or griddle over medium heat. Place each slice of bread, buttered side down, into the skillet. You can cook four slices of bread at a time, or all eight, if they fit.
- For each sandwich, place one slice of swiss cheese on one slice of bread and one slice of American cheese on the other slice of bread. Mound 4 slices of ham on top of the Swiss cheese for each sandwich.
- Cook over low-medium heat until the bread is toasted, and the cheese is melted. The ham should heat through.
- Divide the scrambled eggs evenly onto each of the American cheese bread halves. Bring the two halves of the sandwich together.
- For Moons over My Hammy, serve the sandwich with the eggs toward the top of the sandwich and the ham toward the bottom. Serve sandwiches while still warm.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published October 2022
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.