Crock pot chicken fajitas combine seasoned meat with fresh peppers, tomatoes, and onion for one tasty meal. Make some for dinner or a game day feast!
The best part of this slow cooker chicken fajita recipe is that you can set it and forget it! Just layer everything and turn it on – when you come back, you’ll have a delicious meal waiting for you.
I also have an easy pasta salad recipe with similar fajita flavors, but featuring tender strips of steak instead of poultry. Prepare it fresh or make it the day before to save some time!
Crock Pot Chicken Fajitas – Tips and Tricks
- Wear gloves. The oil in jalapenos and other spicy peppers can cause irritations if spread to your face.
Put on some disposable gloves when handling the peppers and remove them before moving on to the rest of your prep.
- Leave it all day! The longer the meat cooks, the more tender it becomes. Set it to low in the morning and you’ll have delicious pulled chicken by dinnertime.
- Use New Mexico chile powder. It has an earthy, sweet flavor and subtle, spicy heat for a truly authentic flavor. Find it in the international aisle in bulk bags or online here.
- Want some sauce? Once everything is cooked, drain the liquid from the crockpot into a saucepan on the stove.
Simmer over medium-low heat until thickened, then drizzle over your crock pot chicken fajitas!
RECIPE VIDEO ????
You can also stretch leftover crock pot chicken fajitas with this one pot pasta recipe! Skip to step 3 and have another meal on the table in 20 minutes!
FAQ – Common Recipe Questions
Can I use store bought taco seasoning instead?
Yes, though I highly recommend homemade because the flavors are so much more intense!
To achieve the same amount of flavor, you will need 1 ½ to 2 packets of your favorite taco seasoning.
How long will leftovers last in the refrigerator?
The blend of meat and veggies will keep for 3 to 4 days in an airtight container. Keep in mind that the veggies will continue to soften the longer they sit.
Reheat the mixture in the microwave or on the stove before spooning it into warm tortillas.
Can I double this slow cooker chicken fajita recipe?
Absolutely! You’ll need a 6 or 7-quart crockpot so everything fits, but it’s the perfect recipe for feeding a crowd.
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Don’t miss a thing! Follow us on
Other Easy Crock Pot Recipes
Crock Pot Chicken Fajitas + Video
- 3 bell peppers, sliced (I used red, orange and yellow)
- 1 medium white onion, sliced
- 2 seeded and deveined jalapenos, diced
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 1/2 – 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in half (longways)
- 3 tablespoons homemade taco seasoning
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lime
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon New Mexico chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Add half of the peppers, onions, jalapenos and tomatoes to the bottom of a 5 quart slow cooker.
- Layer chicken on top of vegetables. Sprinkle 1/2 of taco seasoning over chicken breasts and flip them over. Season the other side with the remaining 1/2 of seasoning.
- Add garlic and remaining jalepenos on top of chicken. Then add remaining vegetables. Squeeze lime juice over top. Cover and cook on high 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and slice into strips. Return to slow cooker and mix with tongs. Allow to simmer in juices for 10 minutes.
- You can drain extra liquid from slow cooker or transfer liquid to a saucepan and cook until reduce and use as a sauce on your fajitas.
- Serve and enjoy!
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published November 2015, updated and republished December 2021
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for your support; it allows us to keep creating new recipes.