Hot Fudge Recipe + Video
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This hot fudge recipe makes the richest, creamiest chocolate dessert topping you’ve ever tried! Have a batch ready to serve in only 10 minutes.
With double the chocolate flavor as other versions, this thick hot fudge recipe is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth.
Hot Fudge Recipe
No fancy ingredients are needed — you can make this hot fudge sauce recipe with simple ingredients you may already have on hand!
Even better, you can package up jars of homemade hot fudge to give as hostess or holiday gifts. Wrap a pretty ribbon around the outside and you’re all set.
Looking for more delicious homemade toppings? Try my caramel sauce or strawberry syrup dessert topping!
There’s even a version of crispy Magic Shell that can be made with a variety of flavors.
Tips for the Best Homemade Hot Fudge Sauce
- Whisk constantly. This keeps the consistency silky smooth and prevents any scalding along the bottom of the pot.
- Make it dairy free! Use your favorite allergen-free chocolate chips and vegan baking sticks.
Then, swap the heavy cream for a plant-based alternative or full fat canned coconut milk.
- Change the flavor. The vanilla extract adds warmth to this homemade hot fudge, but you could easily substitute peppermint, almond, cherry, or orange for a tasty twist.
- Need a large batch? Easily multiply this thick hot fudge recipe to make as much as you need.
I still recommend storing it in smaller jars to limit the exposure to air as you use it.
Use this hot fudge recipe for more than just an ice cream topping! Drizzle this decadent sauce over cookies, brownies, cheesecake, and more.
You can also whip up cookies and crème affogato for a touch of fancy, or layer homemade hot fudge sauce into a delicious poke cake or peanut butter tiramisu.
Kitchen Tools You Will Need
- Medium Saucepan – Heats evenly and is easy to clean too.
- Whisk – Keeps your sauce lump-free and silky smooth. I’ve had this set for over 10 years, and it’s still as good as the day I bought it!
- Mason Jars – I absolutely love these and use them for storing, prepping, drinking glasses, and especially canning.
Hot Fudge Sauce Recipe FAQ
I love the flavor of milk chocolate chips, and they melt down smoothly without any fuss. If you prefer something a little less sweet, dark or semi sweet chips work just as well in this hot fudge recipe.
You could also purchase high quality bars and chop them into smaller chunks before melting. Be sure it’s something you enjoy eating by itself! Baker’s chocolate will be too bitter.
I wouldn’t recommend it. Not only does it prevent the sugar from crystallizing in the refrigerator, but it also creates that beautiful glossy sheen.
However, you could substitute honey or agave to accomplish the same effect.
Homemade hot fudge sauce will keep for about 2 weeks in the refrigerator when stored in a jar or airtight container. Enjoy it cold or warm it back up in the microwave before serving.
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Don’t miss a thing! Follow us on
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
Other Dessert Recipes
Hot Fudge Recipe + Video
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 8 ounces milk chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Add all ingredients (except vanilla) to a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk to combine. Bring mixture to a low boil (bubble) and whisk constantly until hot fudge thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add vanilla, and whisk to combine. Allow hot fudge sauce to cool, then transfer to a resealable glass jar or serve right away.
- Keep refrigerated and reheat as necessary. Enjoy!
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published February 2014, updated and republished February 2023
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for your support; it allows us to keep creating new recipes.
Love to get your recipes!
Not sure if it went through so am commenting again, is this recipes missing something? It says double chocolate but only lists milk chocolate chips should it have cocoa in it?
Actually it is doubly chocolaty, compared to other hot fudge recipes. Good catch though. Enjoy and let us know how it goes.
So sweet and delicious. I loved the texture. Will have to make this for my friends soon!
Is it okay to can the fudge sauce so I always have some on hand?
Perfect results every time!