Halloween Cake Pops
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Halloween Cake Pops are one of the simplest but most scrumptious homemade Halloween treats ever!! These little bites of chocolate covered cake are decorated with festive Halloween sprinkles. They’re as much fun to make as they are to eat, and you only need 3 ingredients!!
As a mom, I can’t wait for the holiday season – and for me, it starts in October!
I’m always thinking of new Halloween dessert ideas to try to steer away from the same old candy.
And who doesn’t love cake? No one will be disappointed to find these in their treat bags, that’s for sure!
Halloween Cake Pops
A soft, fluffy center is hidden beneath a rich chocolate shell… and covered with fun and tasty sprinkles!
This Halloween dessert idea isn’t only a favorite because it’s such an easy cake pop recipe. It’s also a favorite because cake pops are a treat that everyone loves!!!
But just one snack on Halloween won’t do, will it? Let me make it easy for you – check out all of my best Halloween party tips and ideas!
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
- Donut Holes – One thing that I absolutely love about this easy cake pop recipe is that you can use any flavor cake you want!
In the fall, you can find pumpkin spice donut holes.
- Chocolate and White Chocolate Melts – I like to use both regular and white chocolate melts, but you can use one or the other.
White chocolate is easier to add food coloring to, for more colorful Halloween Cake Pops.
If you have more time available, freeze the donut holes and coat them with Magic Shell!
- Sprinkles – All the better to decorate with! An assortment of Halloween sprinkles with bats, ghosts, and pumpkins are always fun.
Shop around and see what you can find!
Cake Pop Recipe Notes
- Make Decorating Easy – A small spoon will help you roll the donut holes in the chocolate and sprinkles, helping you hit every last bit of the cake!
- Slow and Steady – If you want a ton of chocolate on your Halloween cake pops, be sure to do it layer by layer, letting the chocolate solidify a bit before you go for the next round.
- Great for Any Occasion! Break out this easy cake pop recipe for any holiday! They make sprinkles in every shape, size, and color you can think of.
Why not try green and red for Christmas, pink and red for Halloween, or red, white, and blue for the 4th of July?
Storing and Serving Donut Hole Cake Pops
Halloween cake pops need to be refrigerated and covered to prevent the chocolate from cracking and the cake from drying out.
Stored properly, they’ll last you for up to 2 days.
They freeze really well for a couple of months!
Considering that this recipe uses premade donut holes, I don’t see the benefit of freezing, but you’re more than welcome to.
You don’t need a special stand to showcase your cake pops. Just poke the stick of the Halloween cake pop through a paper mini cupcake liner – it’ll catch the falling sprinkles, too! Or, after the chocolate is dry, just arrange them on a platter.
Halloween Cake Pops FAQ
2 days beforehand is your best bet, but they’re truly at their best right after preparation. Some homemade cake pops benefit from chilling for a day or so, letting the frosting sort of seep into the cake and making them more moist, but these donut hole cake pops are tastiest right away.
But more than 2 days is a no-go! They’ll be mushy, messy, and not at all the cute Halloween treat we’re going for.
There are a couple of ways to make decorating cake pops easier. One way is to fill a tall glass with the icing or melted chocolate and dip the cake right in.
Personally, I don’t like this method. You end up wasting quite a bit of your icing! Instead, I pour a bit into a small spoon and roll the cake pop that way. You save icing, time, and dishes!
Yes! If you’re preparing a homemade cake, then it absolutely needs to chill before attempting to roll in frosting or chocolate sauce. It at least needs to be room temperature. Otherwise, it’ll melt right off!
This isn’t a concern with this easy cake pop recipe – we’re using premade donut holes! They’re already solid and ready to go.
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Don’t miss a thing! Follow us on
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
Other Scrumptious Sweets on a Stick
Halloween Cake Pops
- 12 donut holes, any unglazed flavor
- 5 ounces chocolate melts
- 5 ounces white chocolate melts
- Place one donut hole on its own cake pop stick, being careful not to poke the stick completely through the donut hole. Set aside.
- Add sprinkles to small bowls that are large enough to roll the cake pops in. Set aside.
- In two other small bowls, melt the milk chocolate and white chocolate melting wafers, per the package instructions.
- Working quickly to avoid the melts from hardening, dip each donut hole in melted chocolate of choice. Immediately roll in sprinkles, covering the chocolate completely. *See Notes. Place the cake pop in a slot on the cake pop stand. Allow chocolate to harden for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, repeat steps with remaining donut holes.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published September 2022
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.
Did these as a test for my Halloween Party and they came out so cute! I may even make some to take to my work. They taste amazing too!