This Make Ahead Green Bean Casserole comes together in minutes and bakes to bubbly perfection. It’s so easy to prepare classic green bean casserole ahead of time, making it the perfect side dish for holidays and weeknight meals alike!
Many people ask, “Can you make green bean casserole ahead of time?” and I’m here to tell you — YES!!
Make Ahead Green Bean Casserole
Tender green beans are baked in a creamy sauce and topped with crispy fried onions for a salty crunch!
It’s the combination that many of us grew up on, and I love how easy it is to put together this green bean casserole ahead of time.
For a modern twist on classic green bean casserole, try this version with mushroom bacon cheese sauce!
It just takes a few extra minutes of prep for a side dish that everyone will be talking about.
Green Bean Casserole Make Ahead Tips
- Drain the beans!
Otherwise, the sauce will be thin and not as creamy. Rinsing is not required, but you can if you want to reduce the amount of sodium in this recipe for make ahead green beans.
Cans of regular-cut beans are what you’re looking for. French cut are fine as well, they will just slightly change the texture of the dish.
If you prefer to use a bag of frozen instead, don’t thaw them first. Simply increase the cooking time for your make ahead green bean casserole by about 5 minutes.
- Cream of mushroom substitute:
There aren’t any actual mushrooms in this recipe, but some people are allergic or don’t like the flavor.
You can use any “cream of” soup you’d like instead — chicken and celery are popular alternatives.
- Add some bacon.
Cook up a few strips on the stove or in the oven, then chop them up and stir them in with the rest of the ingredients.
- Feeding a crowd?
Double the green bean casserole make ahead recipe and bake in a 9×13 baking dish instead.
Kitchen Tools You Will Need
- Casserole Dish – One that’s 2 – 2.5 quarts in size should do the trick! Typically that will be an oval baker or an 8×8 baking pan.
- Mixing Bowl – I like to have a variety of sizes on hand, and this set has them all.
- A sturdy silicone spatula can be used for scraping, stirring, and smoothing and is easy to clean too!
Make Ahead Green Beans FAQ
Yes! In fact, I highly recommend it if you’re hosting a holiday meal. You can put it together up to 48 hours in advance and reheat during the final stretch.
Prepare the recipe as directed, but leave off the crispy fried onions. Then, let it cool for a bit before wrapping tightly in foil and placing it in the refrigerator.
About an hour before serving, transfer the dish to the counter to remove the chill — at least 30 minutes.
Then, warm make ahead green bean casserole in the oven, adding the crispy onions towards the end as stated in the directions.
They are thin, crispy pieces of onion that are commonly associated with this make ahead green bean casserole.
French’s is the most popular brand, and they can be found in just about any grocery store.
Not only are they essential to this green bean casserole make ahead recipe, but they’re great for topping burgers or all kinds of casseroles!
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Other Thanksgiving Recipes
Make Ahead Green Bean Casserole
- 2- 10.5 ounce cans cream of mushroom soup, 2 10.5 ounce cans
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 – 14.5 ounce cans cut green beans, 2 14.5 ounce cans
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups crispy fried onions
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the soup and milk until smooth. Stir in the green beans, pepper, and salt.
- Pour the green beans into a medium-size casserole pan, spread them out evenly.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and stir the mixture.
- Top the green beans with the crispy onions and bake for an additional 8 minutes.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published November 2021, updated and republished October 2023
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.