Copycat Cracker Barrel Hash Brown Casserole
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Enjoying a fabulous restaurant dish at home has never been easier. Cracker Barrel Copycat Hash Brown Casserole is ready to go in the oven in a snap. This recipe all starts with homemade soup and ends with a heap of cheese. It doesn’t get better than that!
I have a Cracker Barrel really close to my house, but still every time I see that Cracker Barrel sign I drift 2,346 miles east-northeast to my old hometown in Florida.
Cracker Barrel has such fond memories. I love the country feel wrapped up in that restaurant. I especially love this Hash Brown Casserole!
Now, you can enjoy it anytime in your own kitchen. With only 10 minutes to prep this casserole it is the perfect Sunday breakfast. Make your hashbrowns in the air fryer to add to your breakfast. Looking for another way to use hash browns, check out these Cheesy Bacon Hashbrown Waffles.
How To Make Cracker Barrel Hash Brown Casserole
Looking for a fabulous make ahead dish, this is it. Just prepare it, cover it and place in the refrigerator. The next morning throw it right in the oven (just add a few extra minutes). Easy peasy!
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
Do you ❤️ TSRI? Don’t miss another recipe!
Subscribe to The Slow Roasted Italian by email to receive new recipes in your inbox!!
Helpful Tips to make Cracker Barrel Copycat Hash Brown Casserole:
- If desired you can sprinkle the top of the casserole with additional cheese for the last 10 minutes of cook time.
- You can also divide this recipe into 2 8×8 casserole dishes.
What you will need to make Cracker Barrel Copycat Hash Brown Casserole:
- Medium Sauce Pan –
- 9 x 13 Casserole Dish – I have my favorites and this set is one of them. The 9×13 is perfect for casseroles and the smaller size is awesome for making 1/2 a casserole recipe.
With love from our simple kitchen to yours.
Don’t miss a thing! Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram ❤ ❤ ❤
Check out more of our favorite copycat recipes:
Cinnabon Cinnamon Roll Copycat Recipe
Red Lobster Copycat Cheddar Bay Biscuits
Cracker Barrel Copycat Hash Brown Casserole
- 8 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, divided
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 26 ounce package frozen shredded hash browns
- 8 ounces shredded Colby cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 °F.
- In medium sized saucepan, over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Once butter is melted add 2 tablespoons flour and all seasonings. Whisk to create a paste. Add milk, whisking as you pour. Whisk until completely combined.
- In a quart sized mason jar combine 2 tablespoons flour and chicken broth. Seal tightly and shake the living tar out of your mixture. You will create a smooth flour mixture for thickening your sauce called a slurry.
- Slowly pour slurry into mixture, whisking constantly. Bring to a boil and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Pour soup into 9×13 casserole dish. Add remaining 6 tablespoons butter and onions. Stir until butter is melted. This will also start to cool your soup. Add cheese and frozen hash browns. Mix well with a spoon.
- Bake 25 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Serve and enjoy!
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published 11/11/13
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.
I love all the recipies you have posted on here. I made a few of them, but can't remember what they were. Thanks
What brand of hash browns do you use? Some of them are shredded too thin.
This is excellent! So flavorful! I love me some hashbrowns!
I love this recipe! It is the only one that I use when I make a hash brown cassserole.