Chipotle barbacoa recipe is the Mexican barbecue of my dreams. With this amazing copycat crockpot recipe, it can be a reality for you, too!
Recipes like Chipotle Barbacoa
Seared beef is slow cooked in a spectacular spicy adobo sauce and combination of flavors that create the perfect moist and tender Mexican shredded beef.
Over the last few years I have created make at home versions for many of our favorite Chipotle recipes:
Once again, I began researching and taste testing to develop this copycat recipe. When the dish was perfect, I hosted an awesome party and invited my friends to partake in a burrito bar starring our Barbacoa Chipotle copycat.
What is Barbacoa?
It’s tender and moist seared beef, braised in an incredible blend of adobo, lime, cumin, garlic and oregano that come together to blow away any barbacoa you have ever tasted.
Helpful tips for making crockpot barbacoa:
- Rinse the uncooked roast in cold water and pat dry. This helps keep the meat from steaming and allows it to sear so you get an amazing flavor and crisp coating on the outside of the roast.
- To prepare the sauce without a blender, mince the garlic and chipotle peppers. Combine sauce ingredients in a bowl and mix until well combined.
- Do not use non-stick pans for searing. Cast iron or stainless steel are great alternates to the dutch oven.
- Sear the meat before placing it in the slow cooker. As a result, it adds another layer of flavor. While you can skip this step, I highly recommend taking the extra 15 minutes to do it. Trust me the flavor is worth it!
With love from our simple kitchen to yours.
Other Easy Copycat Recipes
Chipotle Barbacoa Recipe (Copycat) w/ Video
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 4 pounds chuck roast, fat trimmed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 6 cloves garlic
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground clove
- 4 chipotle peppers, from a can, packed in adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce, from the chipotle pepper can
- 1 cup chicken broth, or 1 cup water and 1 teaspoon chicken base
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- Prepare roast. Make sure all visible fat is trimmed. Rinse the uncooked roast in cold water and pat dry with paper towels. This helps keep the meat from steaming and allows it to sear so you get an amazing flavor and crisp coating on the outside of the roast. Cut into 8 chunks. Sprinkle all sides of cut beef with ½ of the salt (1 teaspoon), reserving the remaining 1 teaspoon. Set aside.
- In a blender or food processor combine the sauce ingredients. Blend until smooth. Set aside. If you do not have a food processor or blender, see cook’s note.
- Warm a Dutch oven or heavy bottom pot over medium-high heat, until water dripped over top sizzles. Add the oil. Sear all sides of cut beef. Don’t skip this step. We are adding layers of flavor here. Once the roast is nicely seared with a good crust, remove it from the Dutch oven and place it in your slow cooker. Set slow cooker temperature to high. Pour the blended sauce over top. Add bay leaves. Cook for 5-6 hours on high (or 8 hours on low) covered.
- After about 5 hours (or 7 hours on low) shred beef using 2 forks to pull it apart. Taste, and add additional teaspoon of salt (as needed), stir to completely coat in sauce. Cover and cook for 1 more hour. After this time you can serve and enjoy or turn slow cooker to warm until ready to serve.
- To create burrito: Layer* pico de gallo, Chipotle’s Copycat Cilantro Lime Rice and Chipotle’s Copycat Barbacoa on a large flour tortilla. Additional toppings of Chipotle’s Copycat Guacamole, sour cream and cheddar cheese are also exceptional. *Click on link for recipes
- Serve and enjoy!
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally Published January 2021
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.