Spicy Mac and Cheese
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Spicy Mac and Cheese is made with a few simple ingredients, but certainly isn’t lacking in flavor. With our recipe, you can have Pepper Jack mac and cheese on the table in 20 minutes! Tender bites of pasta smothered in an incredibly creamy sauce will always be the ultimate comfort food any day of the week!
Spicy Mac and Cheese
Homemade cheese sauce is so much easier to prepare than you might think, and it blows away anything you’ll find in a box.
Even better, you can adjust the amounts or add extra spices and ingredients to make a one-of-a-kind meal for your family!
It’s hard to pick my best mac n cheese recipe when I have so many to choose from, but this one is definitely one of our favorites!
Don’t worry, there are plenty of other options if you’re sensitive to heat.
If you love the spiciness of this Pepper Jack mac and cheese, try this spicy sausage and potato casserole next.
You could also make a pot of just the creamy cheese sauce (with the help of Velveeta) to drizzle over veggies, nachos, breakfast, and more!
Spicy Mac and Cheese Recipe Notes
- Skip bagged shreds. Yes, they are convenient, but you’ll get much better results if you shred fresh blocks of cheese by hand.
Not only with the shreds melt down smoother and faster, but the flavor of your spicy macaroni and cheese will be more intense.
- Amp up the heat. Mix some of your favorite hot sauce into Pepper Jack mac and cheese or toss in some diced jalapenos!
You could even use canned diced green chiles, but be sure to drain off the excess liquid first.
- Warm the milk. This extra step will guarantee that your spicy mac and cheese sauce is lump free!
At the very least, measure it out and let it sit on the counter while you get everything prepped.
Spices To Add To Mac and Cheese
While most of the flavor in this spicy mac and cheese comes from the sharp cheddar and Pepper Jack cheeses, there are plenty more ways to doctor up the dish!
Add one or several of the following spices to the sauce after whisking in the milk:
- Garlic powder – Honestly, you can add this to just about any dish for extra flavor!
- Onion powder – Another staple seasoning that enhances recipes without making you cry.
- Cayenne powder– For an earthy heat and a little extra color.
- Paprika – This mild spice adds color and flavor. Use smoked paprika for a bolder taste.
- Dry mustard – Adds a bit of tang to cut through the richness of the sauce.
- Red pepper flakes – Kick things up a notch with a sprinkle or two in your spicy mac n cheese!
- Italian herbs – Choose from oregano, basil, and marjoram — or use a combination of all three.
Spicy Macaroni and Cheese FAQ
Sure! Prepare the spicy mac and cheese recipe as directed, then transfer it to a large, greased baking dish. Sprinkle the top with about 1 cup of breadcrumbs (plain or Panko) combined with some melted butter.
Bake at 350°F until the top is bubbly and starts to brown — about 15 minutes.
The twists and ridges of Cellentani noodles help to grab onto the creamy sauce so each bite of spicy mac n cheese is packed with flavor!
If you can’t find any at your local store, feel free to use rotini, penne, or regular elbow pasta instead.
I love to add andouille or smoked sausage to this spicy mac and cheese recipe for a protein-packed meal! Slice the links and brown them in a skillet on the stove before stirring them in with the pasta.
You could even bake bacon and chop it up, or use leftover shredded chicken and mix either into spicy mac n cheese as well.
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Don’t miss a thing! Follow us on
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
Other Spicy Meals
Spicy Mac and Cheese
- 1 pound cellentani pasta
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, 4 ounces
- 2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese, 8 ounces
- Fill a large stockpot with water. Add 1 tablespoon sea salt to the water and bring to a boil over high heat. Add cellentani pasta to the water once it boils and cook until al dente.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Sprinkle the flour over the melted butter, and add a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Cook the flour until it is bubble and begins to turn brown – this gives the base a nice flavor.
- While whisking constantly, slowly pour the milk into the flour mixture. Whisk until smooth and the sauce begins to thicken.
- Add the cheeses, one handful at a time, and whisk until melted and smooth.
- Pour the sauce over the drained, cooked cellentani and toss to coat.
- Serve immediately.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published April 2015, updated and republished May 2023
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.
This sounds delicious! You say to add seasoning packet but I don't see it in the ingredients list. Pinning to try!
Hi Kim !! The packets she is referring to are the cheese sauce packets that are in the boxes of the mac and cheese. 🙂 I'm going to try this soon too !!! 😀
OMG! I am a huge mac and cheese fan, and this recipe just blew me away. It is so gooey, flavorful, and delicious with just the right amount of kick! I will be making this again for sure!