Sometimes I amaze myself. I cook for 2 of the pickiest people I have ever met. The fact that we manage to eat somewhat healthy meals is surprising, even to me!
My 3 year old (Munchkin) is going through an “I don’t like meat” phase. Along with all the other picky food phases . Apparently, most of the time chicken nuggets are okay. Meatballs and chicken nuggets are about all the meat I can get her to eat. At least there are some options.
So I made 4 batches of these Homestyle Baked Italian Chicken Nuggets last week. We immediately ate 1 batch and froze 3. The ‘left over’ nuggets are gone now. They are ao easy to reheat. Straight from the freezer, I spritz with a little olive oil and bake on a cookie sheet at 400° for 10 minutes and they come out perfect!
So, tonight as we were devouring batch #4, Munchkin is sitting in her seat bouncing around because I made honey mustard dipping sauce and she is crazy excited. So, next thing I know her plate is ALMOST empty. There is 1/2 of 1 nugget left. I asked her why she didn’t eat that last bite. She informed me that “that one has the meat in it Mommy”. Well lucky for me none of the rest of those chicken nuggets did!
Shortly after that she dove into her favorite dessert; Chocolate Banana Ice Cream! Funny that my ‘picky’ 3 year old begs for cucumbers and her favorite dessert is banana ice cream. I guess I can’t really complain too much. I am truly blessed.
With love from our Kitchen Table to yours. XOXO
Check out our favorite chicken dishes! Click on the picture or the link to open in a new window.
Simple Rosemary Parmesan Crusted Chicken Tenders are bursting with flavor. Moist and tender on the inside & crisp on the outside outside!
Grilled Chicken with Simple Rosemary Lemon Marinade is easy and delicious! No chopping, no mess, make in food processor, marinate and grill! So good we ate through 5 rosemary plants making this dish last summer!
Healthy Homestyle Baked Chicken Nuggets are low calorie, low fat & incredibly delicious. Crispy on the outside and moist and tender inside.
Homestyle Baked Italian Chicken Nuggets
- 16 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast, trimmed and cut into bite sized pieces
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, fresh cracked
- 1/2 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tablespoon Mrs Dash Onion & Herb seasoning
- 1 cup Panko, Japanese-style bread crumbs
- olive oil spray, propellant free – I used my Misto
- Preheat oven to 425°. Prepare a baking sheet by lining with aluminum foil and spraying with olive oil spray.
- Add egg whites to a small bowl. Set aside.
- Prepare 2 resealable plastic bags. In one bag add flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Seal bag. Shake to combine. Set aside.
- In second bag combine Panko, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, Italian seasoning and Mrs Dash. Seal bag. Shake to combine. Set aside.
- Place several pieces of chicken into the flour, seal and shake. Remove from bag and place in egg whites. Remove from egg whites and place into then into bread crumb mixture.
- Place chicken nuggets on baking sheet without letting them touch. Once the baking sheet is filled with nuggets, lightly spray with olive oil.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes (until the nuggets are golden brown on the bottom side). Flip nuggets over, lightly mist with olive oil and bake for another 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve with your favorite dipping sauces.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.