Baked Breaded Chicken is marinated in buttermilk, for the juiciest chicken sandwiches ever!! Make this recipe in the oven or on the grill.
Boneless chicken breast marinated in a perfectly seasoned buttermilk mixture, breaded, then cooked to perfection in the oven or on a grill.
This results in the most flavorful, juicy and crispy chicken sandwich you have ever eaten.
Baked Breaded Chicken Sandwich
This easy chicken recipe will need a permanent place in your recipe card file.
Chad and I love chicken sandwiches. Truth be told, I could probably eat a good breaded chicken breast every night and be completely happy about it.
I love the crispy coating and the tender chicken inside. This recipe was created to pacify my need to have the perfect chicken sandwich, and my desire not to have to get one at a restaurant.
This recipe starts with an incredible buttermilk marinade for the chicken. After marinating for 30 minutes, the chicken has a nice coating.
Leaving it overnight creates even more amazing flavor. A dip in the bread crumbs and a spray with olive oil makes this chicken perfectly ready for the grill or the oven.
How to make a Baked Breaded Chicken Sandwich
To bake the breaded chicken breast instead of grilling it:
- Set oven to broil.
- Place the breaded chicken breasts on a baking sheet in the oven.
- Bake for 4-6 minutes on each side, or until they are golden brown and cooked to an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Remove the cooked chicken breast from the oven and assemble your sandwich with the toppings of your choice!
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
Kitchen Tools You’ll Need
- Rimmed baking sheet – used for everything from baking cookies to making a delicious baked breaded chicken breast! A good baking pan will last for years.
With love from our simple kitchen to yours.
Other Scrumptious Chicken Sandwich Recipes
Baked Breaded Chicken Sandwich (Oven or Grill)
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or more, to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon course ground black pepper, divided
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, (four 4-ounce breasts)
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup Italian bread crumbs
- olive oil spray, non propellant
- 4 sesame seed hamburger buns
- 4 red onion slices
- 4 dill pickle slices
- 4 leaves iceberg lettuce
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Combine milk and lemon juice in a small bowl. Set aside and allow to thicken for 5 minutes. Add garlic, onion, cayenne, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper to the milk mixture and whisk until combined.
- Place chicken breast in a resealable 1 gallon plastic zip top bag. Add milk mixture, seal and refrigerate for 30 minutes, or up to an hour.
- Preheat grill to medium. Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil and set aside.
- Combine Panko, Italian bread crumbs, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper in a large flat bowl. Whisk to combine. One at a time, place marinated chicken breast into bread crumb seasoning; flip to coat completely and press bread crumbs into chicken if necessary. Repeat until you have a nice thick coating on each breast. Transfer chicken to a baking sheet.
- Spray each breast liberally with olive oil on each side.
- Grill chicken for 4-6 minutes per side, with the grill closed, until golden brown and cooked through.
- Spread mayo on bottom half of bun. Add lettuce. Place chicken on top and add onion and pickle.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Set oven to broil. Place chicken (on baking sheet) in oven and bake 4-6 minutes on each side until golden brown. Remove from oven when cooked through.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published August 2012. Updated and republished July 2015.
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for your support; it allows us to keep creating new recipes.