Red Enchilada Sauce is rich, perfectly smooth, spicy and delicious. In just 20 minutes you can kick the can and create this simple red enchilada sauce recipe! Great to use for dinner tonight, or freeze to make a quick grab and go weeknight dinner whenever you want.
Red Enchilada Sauce
A rich and flavorful enchilada sauce is the base for so many of our favorite dishes and I knew that once I had this one in my pocket (and in my freezer) I would have so many easy dinners at my disposal.
This simple enchilada sauce starts butter, because that is where all rich and fabulous sauces begin. A handful of my favorite Mexican spices are whisked in, including New Mexico Chili Powder. Now, don’t skip on this. Go for the real New Mexico Chili Powder (check in your international aisle in the bulk bags) if you are afraid the heat will be too much you can use half New Mexico Chili Powder and 1/2 regular chili powder.
Why New Mexico Chile Powder? It has a deep dark reddish brown color and features an earthy, sweet flavor and subtle, spicy heat. It is mildly hot and absolutely perfect in this sauce. It creates a truly authentic flavor!
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Recipes Using Enchilada Sauce
Red Enchilada Sauce
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, 1 stick
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup New Mexico chili powder, 8 tablespoons
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 14 ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes, pureed
- 3 cups chicken stock
- Heat butter in a skillet over medium-high heat add flour and spices. Cook 2-3 minutes, whisking constantly to prevent burning. This will cook out the floury taste.
- Gradually stir in pureed tomatoes and chicken stock. Whisk until smooth. Reduce to simmer 10 minutes while sauce thickens, whisking occasionally.
- Serve and enjoy!
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.