Magic Shell ice cream topping will take you right back to your childhood! Make this hard chocolate shell at home with just 2 simple ingredients.
Magic Shell Topping
Remember that ice cream syrup that formed a hard chocolate shell over your favorite frozen treats?
Now you can make a whole jar full of it and keep it on hand for whenever those cravings strike!
I love using this magic shell recipe for my banana split popsicles — complete with a cherry in the middle.
Magic Shell Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Choose the right oil. Refined coconut oil has a fairly neutral flavor, while unrefined or virgin varieties will add a slight coconut flavor and aroma.
You can also substitute sunflower oil if needed.
- Switch up the flavors. Grab whichever morsels you have handy — dark, milk, semi-sweet, and white chocolate will all work with this magic shell recipe!
Even butterscotch or peanut butter chips should turn out just fine.
- Dairy-free tip: Just swap the regular chocolate chips for an allergy-friendly brand!
- Need a larger batch? Simply double or triple the ingredients and divide the magic shell into multiple jars as needed.
If your bowl isn’t large enough, you can prepare multiple individual batches and store them together instead.
Different Ways To Use Magic Shell Ice Cream Topping
Homemade magic shell is obviously delicious with ice cream and other frozen treats, but you can drizzle it on something as simple as frozen fruit as well!
Bananas, pineapple chunks, and berries would all be delicious.
It can also be used as a dip for fresh fruit, cookies, and bar desserts!
Keep in mind that sudden cold temperatures are what cause the topping to harden, so you’ll need to chill these or let them sit a bit longer on the counter.
Don’t forget to combine magic shell with more of your favorite ice cream topping ideas!
Sprinkles are an easy way to add color, while chopped nuts provide even more crunch.
Hard Chocolate Shell FAQ
The secret ingredient is coconut oil! Because it naturally becomes solid in cooler temperatures, it allows the chocolate to harden when it comes in contact with cold foods like ice cream and popsicles.
If you’re out of chocolate chips, feel free to substitute a chunk of high-quality or baking chocolate instead. Just chop it up into small pieces so it melts faster and more evenly.
No — doing so will cause it to become rock-hard. Magic shell ice cream topping will firm up as it cools, but it can be stored at room temperature for up to a month.
Then, place the jar in a hot water bath or pop it in the microwave at 15-second intervals whenever you want to use it.
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Great Ice Cream Recipes
Homemade Magic Shell + Video
- 2 cups milk chocolate chips, or your favorite flavor
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- Combine ingredients in a wide microwave safe bowl, heat at 30 second intervals until chips are almost completely melted. Stir to combine and allow to cool.
- Transfer to a tall mason jar. Dip into jar or pour topping over frozen treats.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published July 2013, updated and republished May 2023
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.