Chicken and Bisquick Dumplings is an easier version of the delicious classic comfort food! Add everything to the slow cooker in the morning, then drop in the dumpling dough about an hour before serving. It doesn’t get much simpler than that!
Chicken and Bisquick Dumplings
This easy crock pot chicken and dumplings recipe is so good that you will have a hard time eating just one bowl!
For another comfort food favorite, make my Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice.
It has all the flavors of the popular casserole, and there should be plenty left over for lunch the next day
Easy Slow Cooker Chili is hearty and filling with plenty of heat to keep you warm on chilly nights.
On nights when you just don’t feel like cooking, make Slow Cooker Creamy Mac and Cheese.
It’s bursting with flavor from four different types of cheese and is ready in as little as one hour!
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
- Canned Soup Alternative: While store bought is more convenient, you can use homemade cream of chicken soup if you prefer.
- Leave Chicken Whole: Because the meat becomes so tender when slow-cooked, it should fall apart on its own.
You may need to stir everything before adding the Bisquick dumplings to break the meat apart.
Or, feel free to cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces before starting the recipe.
- Add Veggies: Bisquick chicken and dumplings would taste great with potatoes, carrots, and celery as well. Just add them at the beginning with everything else.
If you want to use frozen peas or corn, mix those in just before adding the Bisquick dumplings.
How To Make Bisquick Chicken and Dumplings
Add everything except the milk and baking mix to your crockpot and turn it on. It can cook all day on low, or turn it to high if you need it done sooner.
Then, make the dumplings and add them during the last hour of cooking. Easy peasy!
If you’re short on time, I also have a stovetop version of this chicken and dumplings Bisquick recipe that’s ready in just 30 minutes and cooks all in the same pot.
Homemade Bisquick Dumplings
If you don’t have Bisquick on hand, you can easily make a homemade version with pantry staples!
Simply combine the following ingredients together, then use as directed in the recipe.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon butter (softened)
- ¾ cup milk
- ¼ cup water
Kitchen Tools/Equipment You’ll Need
- Slow Cooker – This is almost my most used kitchen appliance, especially during the cooler months. It’s so convenient and just makes comfort food taste better!
- Large Scooper – Great for meatballs, cookies, ice cream, and portioning out leftovers. I’ve had this set for years and use them all the time.
Storage and Reheating
Keep leftover chicken and Bisquick dumplings in the refrigerator in a sealed container.
While this meal is safe to eat for up to 4 days, I would recommend eating it within a day or two. Otherwise, the dumplings will become soggy and start to fall apart.
Reheat in the microwave or on the stove until warmed through, adding a splash of broth as need if it is too thick.
Crock Pot Chicken and Dumplings FAQ
Not at all! It’s perfectly safe to add raw chicken to a slow cooker when it will be cooked for a minimum of 4-5 hours.
Since chicken and Bisquick dumplings cook for a total of 7-8 hours, the meat is guaranteed to be cooked through!
Yes, they will still cook through when this happens. I just dunk them from time to time because I like them all juicy.
To check if drop dumplings are cooked through, remove one from the pot and cut it in half. It should be fluffy and dry in the center.
If you prefer dark meat, thighs are a great substitute for this chicken and dumplings Bisquick recipe.
Use an equal amount by weight and make sure they are boneless and skinless. It’s also a good idea to trim off any excess fat so the dish isn’t too greasy.
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Other Soup Recipes
Chicken and Bisquick Dumplings + Video
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, uncooked
- 2 cans condensed cream of chicken soup, or 3 cups Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup
- 6 cups chicken broth, low sodium
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups Bisquick mix
- 2/3 cups milk
- In your slow cooker combine all ingredients, (except Bisquick and milk) stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low 7 hours or (on high for 3-4 hours), stirring occasionally.
- Mix Biquick and milk in a medium bowl.
- Add dumplings with a tablespoon scooper or by heaping teaspoon, gently press on dumplings to submerge.
- Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes to 1 hour, or until dumplings are cooked through.
- Serve and enjoy!
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published September 2012, updated and republished February 2023
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.