Saffron Walnut Rice Pilaf combines some flavors that go very well with pineapple: red onion, walnuts, saffron and basil.
When searching for the perfect accompaniment to the Pineapple Pork Chops I made for “Date Night & Dinner Parties” I combined some flavors that go very well with pineapple: red onion, walnuts, saffron and basil. Mr. W doesn’t eat chunks of onion, so I diced these finely so they would dissolve into the rice. If you want chunks, cut them bigger.
This saffron walnut rice pilaf is amazing!!!
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Don’t miss a thing! Follow us on
Saffron Walnut Rice Pilaf
- 16 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- pinch saffron threads
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped, toasted
- 4 Basil leaves, chopped
- Heat broth small saucepan over moderate heat until hot, then sprinkle saffron, salt and pepper into liquid and stir. Remove from heat. Set aside. (You will notice the broth has started to take on the lovely amber color from the saffron).
- In a separate 2-quart heavy saucepan cook onion and butter over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add rice into onions and cook, stirring, until pale golden, about 3 minutes. Stir in saffron broth, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, 5 minutes, then fluff rice with a fork and fold in walnuts. Garnish with basil and serve.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.