Our tequila sunrise recipe makes a bold fruity cocktail with refreshing citrus flavors. Make these tequila cocktails for your next party!
Bold and beautiful, this alcoholic drink has everything you want in a tequila cocktail. The color gradient is astounding, and the combination of tequila and orange juice is perfect for warmer days (or nights)!
It’s the perfect drink for sipping, and with the bold flavor of tequila, it would make an excellent addition to any Cinco de Mayo or other Mexican food party. It would even make a great addition to a brunch menu or ladies night.
You can’t go wrong with the classic flavors of the tequila sunrise ingredients, and of course, the colors of the cocktail make for a gorgeous presentation!
Tequila Sunrise Recipe
Looking for more fun holiday drinks? Make a few of our favorite Cinco de Mayo cocktails for an unforgettable, festive fiesta!
For another mouthwatering option, consider a creamy, refreshing frozen peach margarita that features all of the flavors of summer. You could even serve these drinks with another recipe that uses tequila, scrumptious tequila lime chicken!
And for dessert, we highly recommend serving margarita cupcakes! They’re zesty, boozy, and bright – the perfect way to finish the evening.
- Use frozen oranges instead of ice. To prevent watering down your drink, you can freeze peeled citrus wedges to use instead. Or, freeze orange juice in an ice cube tray!
- Create a beautiful sunrise in your glass. Add the grenadine slowly so that your layers don’t mix. This creates a gorgeous gradient from red to orange that will wow your guests.
- Add soda for a less potent cocktail. Add sprite, ginger ale, or soda water for a cocktail that’s a bit easier to drink.
- Control the sweetness. The grenadine is what really controls the sweetness of this drink. Adjust the amount to suit your preferences.
Tequila Sunrise Ingredients
- Tequila – We use Jose Cuervo Gold tequila for this Tequila Sunrise recipe.
- Orange Juice – Fresh-squeezed orange juice with some pulp will make for a great, refreshing cocktail.
- Grenadine – This is a sweet syrup with a gorgeous red hue. You can find this ingredient near the cocktail mixers in any grocery store or liquor store.
A cherry on top is just what you need for this stunning cocktail! Maraschino cherries fit both the flavor and color profile of this drink perfectly.
You can also make a cool garnish by twisting an orange slice and sliding a toothpick through the center to hold the shape. Rest it on top of the glass for a fancy finish!
Tequila Sunrise Recipe FAQ
Gold tequila, which we use in this recipe, has a very smooth taste and golden brown color. Silver tequila is clear in color and has a harsher bite.
You can certainly use silver instead of gold if you wish, but the color of the drink will be different, and the taste won’t be as smooth.
A tequila sunset is very similar but usually isn’t as sweet. It has the same combination of tequila and orange juice, but usually includes soda water with the grenadine, or sometimes blackberry brandy is used instead.
If you’re not a fan of grenadine in cocktails, you can still get a beautiful color combination with pomegranate or cranberry juice. But to keep the sweet taste, you could use a raspberry or strawberry simple syrup instead.
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
OTHER TEQUILA COCKTAILS
Tequila Sunrise Recipe + Video
- 2 ounces Jose Cuervo Gold Tequila
- 4 ounces orange juice
- splash grenadine
- orange slice
- Fill glass half way with ice, pour tequila and orange juice into the glass. Stir to combine, add a splash of grenadine and garnish with an orange slice.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published April 2012, updated and republished April 2022
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.